Software vs Hardware

tom-knox

Fully Optimized
Which do you prefer to work on or with? Do you prefer the challenge of software and the work of programming or the diagnostics and reward of hardware?

Personally i'm a hardware man, i like to get my hands on a bunch of silicon and go to town, no pun intended.
But i make my living more in software, as a web designer.

I find it very satisfying when you put a computer together and it works first time.

However, I think that most skill is in the software side of things.

I dabble in everything. Not just computers, either. Fixing dishwashers, wiring circuits, building desks etc....

Not very good at anything as a result of the constant switching.

Jack of all trades, master of none, that what your saying? :p

I do circuitry as well, i'm doing electronics (programming, circuitry, science) at college, and have dabbled in that for couple years. But i've been web designing since i was 10 and i took my first pc apart when i was 8, so computers has always been my main interest.

How bout a mixture of both tom? I mean I love the put together aspect of computers, but let's be honest, theres not a builder out there, that doesn't use some software to tweak his components to get that lil bit of extra kick.

Hardware!
i pretty much have the different GPU, CPU, RAM, HDD, MOBO, PSU and HSF along with cases, current prices and specs memorized lol

^ human newegg catalog

I know what you mean ron, obviously without one the other server no purpose, and the overclocking and tweaking of hardware with software is one of the most fun things to do, getting more out of a part than the manufacturer reckon you can is great. But where, with hardware, a speed increase can be obtained instantly (upgrade a part) obtaining a speed increase with software means tweaking then laborious stress testing back to back.

Software guy. For me, the feeling you get when a complicated algorithm / program you've just spent the last few weeks working on sparks to life and works is far better than the feeling you get when you whack a few components together, hit the power button and see the same old boot up sequence ;)

Back
Top Bottom