Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 03-14-2008, 01:31 AM   #11
Daemon Poster

Default Re: So I've got this pre-calc test tommorrow...

I've taken Calc I and am onto Calc II in college. Its a breeze for me, but then again I've always been great at Math, and actually enjoy it.

That said, my calc I teacher was horrible. I taught myself with supplementary books, online quizzes and tests, and senior chick that had taken all three Calc courses.

If your teacher is sucky, just read the book thoroughly and browse through online websites that have math/precalc information. You'd be surprised to see the wealth of information on the net, especially regarding educational stuff.

Old 03-14-2008, 08:04 AM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostGT View Post
I've taken Calc I and am onto Calc II in college. Its a breeze for me, but then again I've always been great at Math, and actually enjoy it.

That said, my calc I teacher was horrible. I taught myself with supplementary books, online quizzes and tests, and senior chick that had taken all three Calc courses.

If your teacher is sucky, just read the book thoroughly and browse through online websites that have math/precalc information. You'd be surprised to see the wealth of information on the net, especially regarding educational stuff.
Yeah, I think I will do that. Any recommendations for sites? I mean, I usually teach myself from the book. That is actually his way of teaching us... He just gives us time to work on it on our own, then the day it's due, we can ask qiestions and all... Reverse order if you ask me...

Old 03-14-2008, 11:39 PM   #13
In Runtime

I'm curious, what is this teachers background? sometimes when they come from an upper echelon college they think they can just push crazy sh*t at kids. give a problem from your test on here. does your school offer tutors? like I'm a physics tutor at my college helping students with the same issue. some shouldn't be in the course but the professor is a 70 year old man who has been doing this for years and is crazy smart when it comes to this but lacks great teaching skills for the current generation.
My setup: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2Gb A-data ddr800, MSI K9A2 CF 790X, MSI 2600XT T2D512EZ, Samsung DVD-RW, Ultra 500W PS Vseries, Maxtor 80Gb, Aspire Mid-tower case, Windows xp Home, Westinghouse 19" LCD
kostonbleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #14
Golden Master

He's in his 40s, I dont think he went to a great college. He isnt that good at normal conversation, lol, a bit of a wierdo. Complete math head, genious at math. Umm, he told us he failed his first calc test in college...

It was mainly like
log(x-4) + log(x=5) = log(x-4) + 1

That isnt a real problem, those are random numbers, but kinda like that.
One I didnt get was something like this, just different numbers

log^(x-1) - log^(x-5) = 1
Or something like that, I just didnt get that one. I missed the day he tought that actually, lol.
Old 03-14-2008, 11:48 PM   #15
In Runtime

yea logs are the only basic thing im bad at, i never learned them. but you know you prolly will never use them again. ln and e are used so much more and are much easier to manipulate.
My setup: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+, 2Gb A-data ddr800, MSI K9A2 CF 790X, MSI 2600XT T2D512EZ, Samsung DVD-RW, Ultra 500W PS Vseries, Maxtor 80Gb, Aspire Mid-tower case, Windows xp Home, Westinghouse 19" LCD
Old 03-15-2008, 09:16 AM   #16
Golden Master

Yeah, we used ln and e too. He used ln and e for the practice test. The practice test, is set up like the test, but different problems. And we can work on it like homework, so we can talk, bring it home and all that. But he used ln and e on that, then on the test, no ln and e, almost all log.
Old 03-15-2008, 02:59 PM   #17
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
Yeah, I think I will do that. Any recommendations for sites? I mean, I usually teach myself from the book. That is actually his way of teaching us... He just gives us time to work on it on our own, then the day it's due, we can ask qiestions and all... Reverse order if you ask me...

http://www.themathpage.com/aPreCalc/precalculus.htm

http://jwbales.home.mindspring.com/precal/

http://mathforum.org/library/topics/precalc/

http://www.wmueller.com/precalculus/

^^ A quick search turned up these sites. There are numerous sites that have info like this and even better. Some even have flash videos and audio if you need them.

Also, check your precalculus book. Most of today's books come with added tutorial CDs or online subscription codes that you can use to log into the company's website. That's what I also used for Calc.

Good luck!

Chris
Old 03-15-2008, 04:09 PM   #18
Golden Master

THANKS!!

Haha, yeah, you say todays books... Our book is like 20+ years old. Its the original book from Newton probably, lol.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:01 PM   #19
In Runtime

the principia? possibly high schools cant afford new books lol