Re: So I had to watch Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs...
Originally Posted by Ð88
It's for my History of Animation class and I had to choose an animated film from that era then choose a movie from modern times (I chose Shrek) to compare it with.
I've made some general observations about Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs:
1) Dopey is obviously mentally retarded but his condition becomes the center point of humour throughout the film. He is treated and acts like a dog in several scenes. Probably wouldn't go over too well amongst activists today.
2) Queen needs to be in a psyche ward but I guess that's the idea they try to convey with her killing anyone who is more beautiful than she is.
3) A little bit of racism against Japanese. Dopey portrays a very stereotpyical image of an Asian person and is looking especially stupid while doing it (remember this movie was released during WWII conflicts)
4) A lot of suggested brutality for a family movie:
- Queen's henchman was going to stab Snow White to death and cut her heart out
- Queen laughs hysterically thinking about Snow White being buried alive
- Queen falls to her death and vultures are seen flying in to feed on her body
5) And my favorite: A suggestion of necrophilia. The prince shows up to see Snow White in her glass coffin (of course singing like a douche bag as he walks up to it) and voluntarily kisses her on the lips knowing full well that she is a corpse (or as it is assumed as no one knows she is actually under a spell that makes her sleep forever).
I thought at first that the prince knew that kissing her would break the spell but turns out he really just thought he was kissing a dead body because he becomes very surprised when she awakes.
And that's that. Now I just have to watch Shrek.
Hahaha, it would probably get an R rating if it was released today.
1st Puter - Intel Pent D 3.4GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 9800GT, Windows 7 Home.
2nd Puter - AMD Athlon Dual Core 2.69GHz, 2 GIG Ram, GeForce 7600GT, XP Home.
Lappy - Intel Dual Core 1.73GHz, 2 GIG Ram, Vista Home Premium.
Piss off George Monks = gmcrepair? YES, YES it was.
Yeah he likes to boost his count.