Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-18-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Angry So angry right now.

I spent about half a year trying to set up a server, and just now I decided to check what Optimum Online says about that.

This is what I get:

Quote:
Hosting a Server

"In addition to the prohibitions outlined in the Acceptable Use Policy, the following restrictions apply:

Optimum Online:

Users may not run any type of server on the system. This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, SMTP, POP, HTTP, SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any multi-user forums; Users may not register or point a domain, sub-domain, or hostname to any Optimum Online IP address. Moreover, Users may not have traffic redirected to The Service; Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision. For example, Subscriber may not provide Internet access to others through a dial up connection, wireless access or host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news service, or send a news feed. Users may not copy, distribute or sublicense any software provided by Cablevision, except that Subscriber may make one copy of each software program for back up or archival purposes only;

Optimum Online Boost:

Users may not run any servers except for a webserver (HTTP) and mail (SMTP) on the system. This includes but is not limited to FTP, IRC, POP, SOCKS, SQUID, DNS or any multi-user forums. Users who opt to run a webserver must do so on port 80 only. Webservers running on any other port will be deemed a violation of these terms. Similarly, users who opt to run a mailserver (SMTP) must do so on port 25 only. Mailservers running on any other port will be deemed a violation of these terms. Users opting to run web or mail servers are expected to secure those services and maintain the security of those services on an ongoing basis. Mailservers are to be configured against open relay and third party exploitation. Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision. For example, Subscriber may not provide Internet access to others through a dial up connection, wireless access or host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news service, or send a news feed. Users may not copy, distribute or sublicense any software provided by Cablevision, except that Subscriber may make one copy of each software program for back up or archival purposes only."

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM   #2
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: So angry right now.

My ISP has the same policy. Doesn't stop me.

99% of the time you can just disobey it, however if you get a huge amount of traffic, they will eventually catch on.

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #3
Fully Optimized

Ya, thats just cause they don't want you sucking up a ton of bandwith, as long as you don't get thousands of users every day you'll be fine.
Old 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM   #4
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

arent you trying to set up a dedicated server for CSS.

that policy shouldnt stop you
Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 01:53 PM   #5
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

P2P isn't too good either. I am expecting a letter of some sort soon.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:05 PM   #6
Golden Master

You can easily set up the server to port 8080 for example, and then just get a port redirect service:
http://www.no-ip.com/services/manage...namic_dns.html

And Optimum Online is on the list of bad ISPs for torrenting and P2P, lol:
http://www.azureuswiki.com/index.php...tes_of_America
Old 07-18-2007, 02:09 PM   #7
Golden Master

Lods of my friends have gotten busted before. Well they were idiots and didn't use port randomization though. I'd hate to get a letter, because if I get one then I can kiss P2P goodbye.

Edit: It actually is on the list of bad ISPs for US.
Old 07-18-2007, 02:34 PM   #8
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Edit: It actually is on the list of bad ISPs for US.
Lol I know, that's why I posted it.

It depends on your ISP. If I was going to get in trouble for P2P, it would've been a long time ago. Although I do encrypt my torrent traffic and use different ports...
Old 07-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #9
Golden Master

Whatever, I am probably just paranoid. I don't torrent that much. And they are the most strict about music and movies, less so with programs.

Edit: Mods, uTorrent is perfectly legal, dloading illegally is illegal. We are not talking about dloading illegal stuff!
Old 07-18-2007, 02:50 PM   #10
BSOD

Send a message via MSN to Rudster816

my brother has downloading probably 20ish movies...never been caught. sometimes he uses a proxy but rarely he does. sometimes he does use our neighbors signal which is ~300ish feet away and he gets 50-80KB/80KB max for our only ISP in our area...still cant believe comcast is only 300 FEET AWAY!

Rudster816 is offline   Reply With Quote