Snow warnings

It makes me laugh this country shuts down at the slightest bit of snow, rain, cold, heat, etc....

Brookfield said:
Fun?? *shudder*
the snow on the way to work was practically non-existent for me.

the only snow was actually at work, where the car parks had a fairly compacted 2" covering, which made parking a bit of fun, in a slow moving slip sliding kind of way...

root said:
the snow on the way to work was practically non-existent for me.

the only snow was actually at work, where the car parks had a fairly compacted 2" covering, which made parking a bit of fun, in a slow moving slip sliding kind of way...

it's not that hard if it's just snow.. Snow isn't that slippery. Driving on snow isn't THAT hard, try ice :p Though ice isn't too hard either as long as you go slow and because we have different kind of tires that we use during the winter. But normal tires and snow isn't bad.

what i mean is that it was smow... but then it was compacted into ice...

either way, still fun in a wide open car park with no danger to anyone else...

root said:
either way, still fun in a wide open car park with no danger to anyone else...

yeah I was driving on well I guess I'm going to call it an ice track. Basically there is probably like a 60m long piece of the track which is completely frozen. And then one turn which is frozen too. It was really fun. At 40km/h I could still drive from the turn more or less fine, but at 50km/h, well lets just say the car didn't want to go where I told it to go to. :D

GlasseyeUK said:
It makes me laugh this country shuts down at the slightest bit of snow, rain, cold, heat, etc....
On the Isle of Wight years ago, when I first moved here, buses did stop with 2" of snow, there are some very steep roads at Ventnor, Ryde, etc, but nowadays with more powerful buses & improved tyres, they cope a lot better, & the roads are rarely impassable, around 10 years ago our village was snowbound, with 3' drifts for 3 days our milk was delivered by a farm tractor.

Brookfield said:
On the Isle of Wight years ago, when I first moved here, buses did stop with 2" of snow, there are some very steep roads at Ventnor, Ryde, etc, but nowadays with more powerful buses & improved tyres, they cope a lot better, & the roads are rarely impassable, around 10 years ago our village was snowbound, with 3' drifts for 3 days our milk was delivered by a farm tractor.

Yeah mate I understand that, and I can understand why the schools, work etc are shutting down, it annoys me though that we do use the slightest excuse of the weather to cancel services, they have been giving warnings for a few days now and they do no preparation, it reminds me of the ol leaves on the line things with the rail system.

Its either too hot or too cold, its too wet, or its too dry (ummm well not that but you get my drift)

Ahhh such is the english way.......

Not too bad here, it's had it's moments today.. but it seems to of stopped now. Good thing, crawling it in altrincham tonight!

Back
Top Bottom