Smoking in pubs/clubs (UK)

I think it is right for the government to impose a total ban on smoking in public places.

What is it now? Around 20% of the population smoke? And they're whinging on about their rights. What about the rights of the other 80% who want to have a drink without the worry of developing cancer?

if you think about it really its not a public place. a public place is like a library, swimming pool, shopping centre. these are all funded by the goverment!!

a pub is a privately owned shop basically! they dont receive funding from the goverment or anything like that, so how can the goverment tell them the rules to make.

malbuc87uk said:
Like I say, us Scots only have to wait until March :D

Yeah, I'd like to go into my Student Union and order a pint instead of a pint and a helping of lung cancer.

i wanna move to scotland then!!
i cant stand smoking, and id rather be able to drink and not get lung cancer on the house...

In my city, we have had smoking banned in all public places for about 2 years. It doesn't affect me that much yet since I'm only 16 but it's a good thing in my opinion.

I need to smoke in pubs because it stops me drinking too much...

that five minutes spent with a cigarette would mean another pint/bottle/glass down my neck, and I'm getting too old to drink like I used to...

and at the end of the day, why shouldn't I?
I have a private pension, with health care provisions.
since I work in the public sector I pay double into the government pensions scheme, (currently £85 PCM) more than someone working for a private firm, (and the way things ar going I probably won't get that anyway)...
the taxes on my cancer sticks are currently helping children and old people in hospitals...
make no mistakes, the average light smoker will pay more in taxes than they actually use from the healthcare system... I'm not saying that they/we should pay less, but at the end of the day, I#'m paying more than I use, and I'll die sooner to help sort out the state pension defecite as well...

root said:
that five minutes spent with a cigarette would mean another pint/bottle/glass down my neck, and I'm getting too old to drink like I used to...

Your profile says you're 23...

Anyways, smoking has claimed the life of a member of my own family, so I'd rather be an alcoholic.

I know it says I'm 23... but when I was aged 16 - 19, i could quite easily drink 16 - 19 pints in a night...

now I'd be on the floor if I even attempted that!

I think I'd rather bothsmoke and drink in moderation and crossmy fingers that it didn't claim my life...

Back
Top Bottom