Golden Master
MPs press for full smoking ban
Reuters Tuesday January 10, 06:31 PM

* Email page
* IM Page
* Print page

MPs press for full smoking ban
Click to enlarge photo
LONDON (Reuters) - A group of MPs on Tuesday said they were tabling an amendment to the government's plans for a smoking ban in England which they hope will result in a blanket ban in pubs and clubs.

The MPs also called for a free vote on the issue when the bill comes back to parliament in the next two or three weeks, a move the government has signalled may be possible.

Many MPs say if they are
allowed a free vote, a total ban will be passed.

Prime Minister Tony Blair's government has proposed a smoking ban which would exempt pubs which do not serve food and private clubs.

But many Labour MPs, including some Cabinet members, want a total ban. They cite surveys which show most Britons support action making all pubs and bars smoke-free.

Ireland, Northern Ireland and Scotland have either fully banned smoking in public places or announced plans to do so.

The chairman of the cross-party Health Committee and nine other members said in a statement they would table an amendment to remove the exemptions.

"If carried, our amendment will greatly strengthen that part of the bill which aims to protect the public from the dangers of second hand smoke," said Kevin Barron, chairman of the committee and a Labour Member of Parliament.

"Since 1997 this government has come a long way towards controlling the harmful effects of tobacco use and this is another milestone towards the improvement of public health," he said.

The move follows a report from the Health Committee last December which branded the government's plans for a partial ban as "unfair, unjust, inefficient and unworkable".

Barron also called on the government to allow a free vote on the ban.

"The government is considering giving Labour members of parliament a free vote on this amendment. I hope they do," he said.

Blair, who has seen his authority wane since announcing he would stand down before an election due by mid 2010, risks a revolt and defeat on this highly emotive issue if he does not grant his party a free vote.

Since last May's election more than halved Blair's majority in parliament, fewer than 40 Labour MPs can defeat him by siding with opposition parties. He suffered his first ever parliamentary defeat last year on anti-terrorism laws.

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/10012006/325/mps-press-full-smoking-ban.html

Whats your views on this? I for one hope they do do a blanket ban on smoking, being a non smoker, and legal drinking age as of two weeks yesterday (cant wait. lol) id like to be able to go down the pub and no have to breathe in the smoke...

It would be nice if they would ban smoking at US bars and resterants. I hope that does does get put in effect over there, i don't like smoke.

i have had a lung disease, and know what problems come with smoking. however we do not live in a communist country and i for one don't like the way we are going. it is becoming a nanny state, no one seems to be able to make a descision for themselves! legislation seems to be tha answer to everything.
i hate smoking, and try to avoid the places where people smoke. i think that all bars, cafe's, hospitals should have small pokey rooms with the now widely available air filters for smokers to carry on with there wretched habbits. no one who detests smoking need go into these rooms if they don't want to. whenever i go to a hospital, i see patients standing outside, freezing to death so that they can have a smoke! yet the guy who's a crack head in the next bed to him is still in bed getting his methadone!
it don't quite figure. i heard today that people with advanced cases of lung cancer, are usaly told that they may as well keep on smoking as it would make little difference if they stopped. so they are outside the hospital in sub zero tempretures having a ciggy, when they have only weeks to live.
i just think that we have enough legislation, and anyone who wants to BAN smoking can alreay do it!
woz

What you all fail to realise is how much smokers inevitably keep your taxes down. Carpet banning smoking everywhere would not only drop government funds dramatically, increase your taxes dramatically, but would also increase the amount of people getting ciggarettes from other countries Duty Free.

Now, I'm not saying us smokers are right and should be allowed to cause harm through passive smoking to others. But at the end of the day it is our choice, and hopefully, instead of a blanket ban on smoking in ALL pubs and restaurants, I'd much rather see pubs encouraged to put a ban on smoking while some others encouraged not to. That way, you're bound to have an area to drink locally that, if you smoke, you can go to, and if you don't like smoke or have health issues that stop you from it, you also have somewhere to go. A far better idea than killing your countries economy by completely banning smoking, don't you think?

Regardless of what happens in England, smoking is banned in all public places in Scotland as of March.

About bloody time too.

although no one likes second hand smoke (except for weird people), i still dont think that law should pass. people have a right to smoke in public places if the place itself allows it. i myself am not a smoker, but i am very much for more rights.

Ive never tried smoking, and now that im (nearly) legally allowed to go in pubs and drink, it would be nice not to be forced to smoke, if people want to kill themselves by smoking, they should do it outside (aka, kill only theirselves, not make other non smokers ill too)

im totally for a blanket ban.

While I am a non smoker, I think the government does not have the right to tell people what they can and can't do in social situations like smoking

Back
Top Bottom