Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #1
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Huawei (pronounced wah way) is based in Communist China and looking to penetrate the US telecommunications industry. Should we let them? Here's a 60 Minutes piece: http://m.cbsnews.com/storysynopsis.r...441&feed_id=32
__________________

Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #2
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

There should be tariffs placed on parts they use that are shipped in from China. There should be heavy taxes placed on profits made in this country. There should be a stipulation that 50% or better of the balance after taxes must be spent in this country.
They should have documentation backing all that up from an American accounting firm. Not any fudged crap from the mother land offices.
If they want to play here it should be by our rules. Otherwise stay the f*** out.
__________________

setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: US
Posts: 433
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by setishock View Post
There should be tariffs placed on parts they use that are shipped in from China. There should be heavy taxes placed on profits made in this country. There should be a stipulation that 50% or better of the balance after taxes must be spent in this country.
They should have documentation backing all that up from an American accounting firm. Not any fudged crap from the mother land offices.
If they want to play here it should be by our rules. Otherwise stay the f*** out.
You forgot to mention about hiring American workers to work in this country. To get back on track, do you see Huawei as a possible security risk to the US if they enter into the telecommunications business over here where, e.g., the Chinese may get easier access to our military secrets.?
Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #4
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

I don't think you need to worry about the Chinese trying to get at our military secrets. That's just the media trying to make a big hype about China. Our real concern should be Iran and Israel.
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Site Team
 
celegorm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,713
Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Considering the Chinese make like 99% of the parts for mobile devices I'm pretty sure nothing about having company also put them all together into one device isn't a big deal. Particularly since them building the iPhone for years hasn't resulted in anything. All hype, no threat.
__________________
"as a fanboy i refuse to admit it and will pull countless things out of my butt to disprove it"

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
celegorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Wizard of Wires
 
setishock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Not sure
Posts: 10,030
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Yeah you may be right. Lawmakers to U.S. companies: Don't buy Huawei, ZTE | Mobile - CNET News
setishock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:31 PM   #7
In Runtime
 
1337G33k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Canada
Posts: 190
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Isn't Syria doing that already?
1337G33k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:44 PM   #8
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Syria and Turkey is another concern... Firing mortars on each other.
__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
MMM
Daemon Poster
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: !!
Posts: 699
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superman22x View Post
I don't think you need to worry about the Chinese trying to get at our military secrets. That's just the media trying to make a big hype about China. Our real concern should be Iran and Israel.
Trying not to hijack this thread I think you under estimate China, China is a big threat to the western world..... they have done a massive military build up in the last decade or two and the USA recognizes that....understand your history and do not forget.

Back on subject I think it is bad policy to let foreign owned business to run your own countries critical infrastructures as this leaves it open to espionage & exploitation.
MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #10
Golden Master
 
superman22x's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 7,903
Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Should we be concerned about Huawei as a security risk?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Trying not to hijack this thread I think you under estimate China, China is a big threat to the western world..... they have done a massive military build up in the last decade or two and the USA recognizes that....understand your history and do not forget.

Back on subject I think it is bad policy to let foreign owned business to run your own countries critical infrastructures as this leaves it open to espionage & exploitation.
They have a military, yes, as does any developed country. They have no reason to attack us. We buy half their stuff anyway. They don't hate us like the media might try and make it seem. I bring this up with my roommate who is a student from China and he thinks it's stupid that the US always is making the Chinese look like a big military power ready to attack us. No one in his country spreads rumors like that. It's not a topic there, he says it would never happen. They depend on us for food...
__________________

__________________
“Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.” - Dr. Suess
superman22x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:55 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0