Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-05-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Beta Member
Default Should I stay at my job and finish my B.S. in I.T. or should look once I have my A.S.

Should I stay at my job and finish my B.S. in I.T. or should I start looking for a job once I get my A.S.?

I am working as a cisco technical engineer with an independent reseller for the past 6 months its a very small shop. This is my first fulltime I.T. job. I was a field engineer for a few months prior but on call basis performing new installs of switches in SMB, desktop troubleshooting, and printer repair. In my current position I migrated the servers from server 03 to 08 and exchange 03 to 07. Also, performed a migration from our analog pbx to voip using an all cisco backbone connecting to several sip trunks from cme. In addition, I integrated unity express with exchange. My day to day is that I create complex test networks to be able to conduct performance tests on all the cisco hardware that we receive to make sure it will work in a live environment.

My position is getting real tedious besides the fun part is over with which was the migration that came and went. I am 2 classes from completing my associates just can't enroll just yet to finish due to financial reasons will enroll in January of 13'. I currently have my ccna, ccna voice, mcts server 08 admin, Mcp Windows Xp, and A+. I am currently working on my ccnp voice as I found a liking in the voice work that I performed and want to dig deeper. I plan to have my ccnp voice completed by March or April of 2013.

My question is should I stay at my current comfortable position and finish my bachelors once I have my personal finances in order which will be by 03/13 so my education can be paid by cash. The duration of my completion of the B.S can take me 6-12 months depending how things go at WGU. I do plan on finishing my Bachelors if not at my current job at my next one. By march of 2013 I should have my associates in I.T. and my ccnp voice. At that point should I start looking for work? I want to look for a position in voice but I know it'll look better on my resume if I have a bachelors. I'm pretty torn about it because if I do stay to finish my bachelors while working at my current job I'll more then likely forget most of the ccnp voice materials which will end up being a waste of time.
dmartech is offline   Reply With Quote