Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 02:47 PM   #1
Fully Optimized

Send a message via MSN to BrynF_UK
Default Should China have been alllowed to host the olympics?

Recently I was wondering if China should ever have been allowed to host the Olymics, especially now that it appears they sent millions of round of ammunition to Zimbabwe who is currently in a bad state because of the election results not being released (probably because the government would loose power) - and also the arms deals with places like Darfur which is in the middle of a genocide?

Also, the appalling human rights records, their treatment of protesters in places like Tibet, the censorship of the internet which restricts people reading about anything that could put the government in bad light etc and also several people who have "dissapeared" who were trying to get things changed in China about human rights etc

At the moment, I have a very dim view of the Chineese government - if anything I would say they're making themselves look barbaric in some sense They definetly should never have been allowed to host the Olympics!

Edit: Oops, haha, I spelt China wrong in the topic title!

Edit 2: Can a mod change it to show who voted for what, just out of interest?

Visit today! ---> www.smouch.net/lol <---

Old 04-18-2008, 04:19 PM   #2
Site Team

Send a message via AIM to celegorm
Default Re: Should chine have been alllowed to host the olympics?

I don't see why not. We've held them before and we haven't always been good to our citizens. Same thing can be said about any other country.

Just because they give ammo to to "bad" countries doesn't mean anythign IMO. We sent Bin Ladin ammo and weapons to help fight Russia way back when, and now look what he's doing.

Team Thelegorm! Total Kills: 21 (i iz in uor profile, editsing your sigz)
Old 04-18-2008, 04:39 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to borat_sagdiyev Send a message via MSN to borat_sagdiyev

no.

why?

because they don't have human rights, treat their people like slaves, and abuse everything.
evga geforce 7600GT overclocked
Old 04-18-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
Daemon Poster

I voted yes but I personally tend to think the Olympics should have never left Greece. I never cared for it much, most of the athletes are competing for themselves, not their country as they say.
Old 04-18-2008, 05:04 PM   #5
Daemon Poster

hells to the no.
they treat people like crap. they have acid rain on 1/3 of their country the chinese athletes have huge advantage because they are used to the toxic air and the smog. most other countries are not. and they are a terrible country. they are selfish and stupid. i live with chines and tawinese kids and they HATE each other chines people rject to know taiwan exsits because they do not belong to china.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #6
Fully Optimized

I say no. I wish the olympics would stay in Greece as a tradition. It's already set that the olympics are going to be in China this year so I guess we'll have to live with that.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:13 PM   #7
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by borat_sagdiyev View Post
no.

why?

because they don't have human rights, treat their people like slaves, and abuse everything.
lmfao? sterotypical of westerners who assume based on extremely biased information. they have human rights, they absolutely dont treat their people like slaves and do not abuse everything.

have you ever even went to china? im sure if you do, you may stay there forever because you will love it there.

and to iamchickenlover: acid rain would be and is a problem in countries such as the United states as well. New york would be spewing on acid rain if not for winds that send our acid rain to Canada. there is also a lot of smog and toxic air in places such as california and in cities such as los angeles.
and every group of people has their own group of selfish and stupid people. i would name a few that are present on this forum but i fear a flame war.

and about the tibetian incident. the tibetians were basically waiting for this moment to protest because everyone is looking at china.
Old 04-18-2008, 08:14 PM   #8
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to esa193

i think it should have been in nyc
it was between china and nyc

MacArthur wrestling pwns!
Old 04-18-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by esa193 View Post
i think it should have been in nyc
it was between china and nyc
lol if it was nyc, it would be even worse than the jets stadium thing. i hope it never comes to nyc.
Old 04-18-2008, 11:34 PM   #10
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Should China have been alllowed to host the olympics?

I don't see why not. They might not treat all of their population in the best possible way, but neither do a lot of other countries.

The only reason why I think it's bad is because the air pollution is crazy there. A bit more pollution and we would see the athletes running around in gas masks. But still.. they should be allowed to have the olympics.