A server for less than 200 bucks? Go on.....

NVIDIAGAMER1

Baseband Member
Ok listen, I'm looking to get a job over the summer and after i get some cash together i'm planning to make a nice little game server to handle game servers like:
Battlefield 1942: DesertCombat, SWOWWII
Unreal Tournament 2004 Server 3323
Quake III
Quake II
Serious Sam II
And so on and so forth. Well, I came across some interesting items for making a complete server with decent hard drive, a CDROM drive, and a good server processor (Always get AMD, they make awesome servers. Trust me, my computer was a great server with a 2400+)
So heres what i got, Everything here was at Compgeeks.com:
Case and Power Supply: 24.95
<<Listen, we want a cheapie because we don't want to buy some kind of 70 dollar server rackmount case. Yea, we're going for budget.
Soyo mATX mobo: 38.90
<<Ok, this one's a dead giveaway. It has great upgrade potential, with a 266 and 333 FSB. It also doesn't go cheap with SDRAM, and rather opts for DDR. Go DDR! (Not Dance Dance Revolution, despite being a fun game.)
AMD Athlon 1.33Ghz: 42.00
<<You want to go cheap, but not INSANELY cheap. I was running a 300Mhz server for a while, and it could calculate 20 AI bots in BF1942:DC. Imagine what a 1.33Ghz could do with games like that.
128 MB DDR2100 ram: 23.00
<<Yes, generic plain old dishwater ram. Don't blame me, but it works, and so long as it works, I'm FINE!
20.4 GB Fujitsu HDD: 37.00
<<This should be big enough to hold about 14 games (server editions). 'Nuff said.
48x Lite-On CD-ROM: 7.95
<<Though this may seem unnecessary to some (just load games onto the HDD from a network drive) I think its a worthwhile 7 or 8 bucks. And i swear by Lite-On, so i don't think i'd be let down.
2 Device KVM switch w/ cables included: 19.00
<<If you don't want 2 keyboards, 2 mice, and 2 monitors, get a KVM switch. Yet again, 'nuff said.

SERVER TOTAL: $192.80

I'm planning to work during the summer for alittle extra cash and earn enough to make this server. Game on, kiddies, game on!

Oh yea, and this server is easily upgradable, up to a max of 333FSB DDR, a Barton XP 3000+ (non-400) and as much hard drive space as you could dream of.

Oh and I would build an Opteron not a Zeon I thougth you said AMD make better servers? lol and I wouldn't drive a corvette but a TVR Speed 12 as for what you have bought I'm not convinced that it can do what you want it to do.

Yeah to be honest now that I think about it you will probably have problems running the games you want but good luck anyway and don't forget this forum is allways here to help you if you need anything

I don't plan to run the games on the computer, that's why it's a server. But rather just host the dedicated servers.

So you will be playing on a different computer. Oh I guess that changes things a little

Yep. I've made my own gaming rig, and it's about freakin' time for a new dedicated server machine. Though in the future i might opt for a 40 gig HDD and an Athlon XP 2400+...Cheap blingy....

Back
Top Bottom