Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 09-16-2007, 12:27 AM   #21
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Sell my car?

If it was me, keep what you have. Since you don't have that kind of money anyways. It may be toug driving in the snow, but thank goodness for city plows.

Once you start working and making your own money, get the car you want. For now, it's a daily commuter for you.
__________________

__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:08 AM   #22
Golden Master
 
ArrizX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 16,073
Send a message via MSN to ArrizX
Default Re: Sell my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy Boy View Post
Whats EP3 stand for, and you mentioned your car is a DD? What does that stand for?

Sorry, I'm a car guy for sure, I'm just not up on my import lingo.

Edit: Ahhh....DD = daily driver, got that.
Its just the chasis code name.
__________________

__________________
. ()()()()
./l ,[_\_\ ],
l---L ()lllllll()-
()_) ()_)--o-)_)
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 09:35 AM   #23
In Runtime
 
AllThingsSacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: Sell my car?

Can I just quickly ask about your needs for a car?

It seems every young person, especially in the USA from what I have previously seen, just thinks a car is an awesome thing to have without actually considering it properly. Cars are expensive to run as it is even for fuel alone, when you add in payments such as road tax and insurance it becomes ridiculous. Young people generally cannot afford it, where are you getting the money? I will tell you this: I earn about 46k a year on average which is $92k US, with my wife bringing in something like 36k. I still find my car (a 2004 Vauxhall Astra) a bit too expensive to run and my wife and I share it, I have absolutely no idea how somebody of your age who is still at school can possibly even begin to afford it, where is the rest of your life? How do you afford clothes, nights out etc. when you're spending thousands on a car you can't afford to run?

If you are that desperate for a new car, then I can only suggest you get a job. $14 000? That is a large amount of money for someone of your age for anything let alone a car, have you ever considered sharing with one of your parents? You said yourself your parents are not actually paying for your fuel, I know fuel is cheaper in the US but even so cheaper fuel means you will drive more, thus increasing your expenditure on fuel in any case.

I am just as happy with my OysterCard, try driving in London anyway.
__________________
Patrick Moore
Born London, Live London, Die London
As a Londoner, I exercise my God given Right to do as I please
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 12:47 PM   #24
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Sell my car?

It's obvious that money is an issue here, otherwise, he would have no problem getting another car. Especially with getting something better than an Xterra. When I was younger, I struggled too just like everyone else. I drove a piece of crap 1988 Ford Escort which I made constant repair too (thank goodness nothing major), until I got more money through work. It wasn't until 5 years later, when I got my first new car because of getting job with a much, much higher wage. Even with money, it tends to go over your head because within the next few years, I've bought three new cars in which they were traded in for the other lol. Got too carried away.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:21 PM   #25
In Runtime
 
AllThingsSacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: Sell my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISOwner View Post
It's obvious that money is an issue here, otherwise, he would have no problem getting another car.
Well that is what I am trying to say, he needs to ask himself if he can really afford it.
__________________
Patrick Moore
Born London, Live London, Die London
As a Londoner, I exercise my God given Right to do as I please
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 01:38 PM   #26
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Sell my car?

Honestly I would just be glad that I had a car. Wouldn't matter to me if it were too low to the ground or not. A lot of 16 year olds don't have cars, yet alone this being their second car. If I'm correct you had a car before that was a Mercedes that was in an accident. I don't even have my own car yet, you should consider yourself lucky to even have a car IMO. You could always just raise your car back up to the stock clearance instead of having it lowered and maybe that might help a little bit. Otherwise you could trade it in and buy something for roughly the same price as the trade in value, or just try to sell it on your own.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #27
In Runtime
 
AllThingsSacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: Sell my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
Honestly I would just be glad that I had a car. Wouldn't matter to me if it were too low to the ground or not. A lot of 16 year olds don't have cars, yet alone this being their second car. If I'm correct you had a car before that was a Mercedes that was in an accident. I don't even have my own car yet, you should consider yourself lucky to even have a car IMO. You could always just raise your car back up to the stock clearance instead of having it lowered and maybe that might help a little bit. Otherwise you could trade it in and buy something for roughly the same price as the trade in value, or just try to sell it on your own.
Reputation added.

Cars are luxuries, they are not necessities so you should not be attempting to reorder your entire life just to have one. There are enough cars on the world's roads today and enough pollution without teenagers thinking they are the be-all-and-end-all.

If you cannot afford a given luxury, you should not have it at all. So you had a Mercedes which you wrote off and are now complaining about owning a Honda Civic? Cry me a river, maybe it is your driving skills that need updated. I am thirty-five years old and cannot afford a Mercedes, be glad for what you have. I have been driving for sixteen years and have only had about ten slight scrapes, and have never ever had an accident involving another driver.

I'll be completely frank; you cannot afford it. You have other priorities in life at your age and you can easily survive without a car. If you are worried about not looking cool in front of your friends for not owning one then that is your problem.
__________________
Patrick Moore
Born London, Live London, Die London
As a Londoner, I exercise my God given Right to do as I please
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:09 PM   #28
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Sell my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahyoka View Post
hooray for Dirt Roads! (I live on one too)

Back on topic, I don't know though dude...it sounds like a tough decision
Dirt roads are awesome. I love it. I remember I use to do doughnuts all the time!!! But wow, your air filter sure takes a beating.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:13 PM   #29
Daemon Poster
 
AmericanSensei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,144
Default Re: Sell my car?

Your thinking right...You are in the exact situation I was in. I had an Infiniti G35 Coupe, But the more I thought about it the more it became a "Toy" rather than a realistic vehicle that suites my lifestyle. I'm constantly wanting to take my Quads out to ride, Camping, I want to move, I buy big things, All of which the G35 couldn't do for me. So I traded it in for a Toyota Tacoma. Best buy I've made since my first box of Trojans.
AmericanSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:15 PM   #30
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Sell my car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
Reputation added.

Cars are luxuries, they are not necessities so you should not be attempting to reorder your entire life just to have one. There are enough cars on the world's roads today and enough pollution without teenagers thinking they are the be-all-and-end-all.

If you cannot afford a given luxury, you should not have it at all. So you had a Mercedes which you wrote off and are now complaining about owning a Honda Civic? Cry me a river, maybe it is your driving skills that need updated. I am thirty-five years old and cannot afford a Mercedes, be glad for what you have. I have been driving for sixteen years and have only had about ten slight scrapes, and have never ever had an accident involving another driver.

I'll be completely frank; you cannot afford it. You have other priorities in life at your age and you can easily survive without a car. If you are worried about not looking cool in front of your friends for not owning one then that is your problem.
You're right. I have to work to get a car, unless I get a scholarship to college I'm going to have to buy a car with my own money. Whether I end up with a pinto or a beamer I'll just be glad I worked for it. I'd rather have a hunk of junk I worked for than a nice car that was handed to me.

Also I think the mercedes was circa 1990ish so not too new but still I would like to have one, and a lot of others would too. Cars are luxuries, not necessities. Lots of people don't have cars, either because they don't want one, can't afford one or for some other reason. I seriously don't know any 16 year olds who have already had two cars, yet alone one. They usually drive their parent's cars or don't drive a car. Consider yourself lucky you have a car, and a nice one at that.
__________________

__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0