Science Vs. Religion | Black Vs. White | A vs. Z

Talking about 'becoming that beggar', I think that understanding this inherent unfairness can be eye opening in terms of understanding and empathizing with people who we'd normally be disgusted with.

One of the biggest challenges I think a person can face is accepting these unfair turns of life with grace, when it's you who falls overboard and gets left behind.

To take a personal example, my fiance left me a few months ago. That was an *incredibly* bitter pill to swallow. Honestly a ton of pretty dark thoughts crossed my mind, most being a wish to get some revenge, to make her suffer like I was suffering. What kind of person wishes that on another?! And that was over a relatively small thing like a girl deciding she didn't want to stay with me forever after all. I consider myself a nice person, yet there I was with hate in my heart. Just that easily.

It really opened my eyes to the kind of turmoil a person must go through when they lose so much more than that, and made me sympathetic to some who go on to commit atrocities because of that (though obviously not condoning their actions). When we're overboard and drowning while the rest carry on, seemingly uncaringly, it invokes such a terrible feeling of unjustness. We suddenly feel like anything we do is now justified, because LOOK AT WHAT THEY DID TO US.

So we seem to agree that we can't solve the underlying issue of having to leave someone floundering behind the boat sometimes. But is there anything we can do to try to mitigate the result of that? i.e. try to heal the hurt of the unfairly treated party? This is where I really take issue with the religious approach. I think the only true way to move up and past this is to raise a generation of people who can face these trials and reason through them, and teach their children to do the same.

Talking about 'becoming that beggar', I think that understanding this inherent unfairness can be eye opening in terms of understanding and empathizing with people who we'd normally be disgusted with.

(IMHO) Experience produces the greatest [possible] understanding.

What kind of person wishes that on another?!

Every person on the planet. Ever.

Being a combat veteran and having seen the absolute worst mankind has to offer, I can promise you I've been to much darker places, having considered myself at one time a much better person than most. I realize now I'm no different, the only difference is what we choose to do with those thoughts and emotions. Nothing more.

I think the only true way to move up and past this is to raise a generation of people who can face these trials and reason through them, and teach their children to do the same.

Having kids of my own, I thought I'd be able to pass on all of my life lessons using analogies, examples, stories, everything I could to prepare them. It seems we're wired to learn it all over again from scratch. I'm sure you remember being young and how stupid your parents were, right? Pretty much how my oldest views me now. There's an age where you go from being idolized to retarded and they're determined to learn everything the hard way. They still ask your advice, and that seems to be what they don't do.

Edit: I should add. My oldest has seen me grow from the violent 'returning war hero' to a controlled, calm, measured individual throughout his life. In an interesting book ("Influencer"), the best way we can teach is to show others a better way. Not talk, not force, but show them by example. Hopefully a decade from now I'll know if anything I've been doing has been worth a s**t. :D

But is there anything we can do to try to mitigate the result of that? i.e. try to heal the hurt of the unfairly treated party?

In the yellowstone national forest, forest fires are almost never fought. Why not? They are natural and the forest service knows that after the fires all the nutrients return to the land and life returns to the land much stronger than before.

In my life experiences, the painful and sometimes horrendous things I've endured have only made me stronger or taught me valuable things about the human experience. Some of those lessons took much longer to realize than others, and perhaps some have yet to be realized. What can be done?

I'm no pro surfer, but I loved being in the ocean as a boy. The waves would always knock you down if you weren't prepared for them though, and sometimes they'd knock you down if you were. The best way to get through if you were trying to get out to catch a wave in is take a deep breath and jump right through it before it smashes into you. You don't always see it coming, but if you do, there's one option. Friends help, laughter helps, time helps. But I think we're right back to where we started with "there's no perfect answer" and this could just be the human experience... trying to solve a problem that has no solution. Trying to understand something that cannot be understood.

I am sorry to hear of your troubles. There's absolutely nothing a keyboard warrior can type that's going make the inside of you feel different. That battle is yours and yours alone. However, I believe that's where you'll find your answer.

Last edited:
We all have our demons and to see the worst of humans you can see it right here on the net. It's called the dark net.

No I haven't been there, I'm not interesting in sickos.

The problem with have a perfect world is that, no one ever has the same idea. People believe plastic is a great idea, people don't. People think the world is warming up, people think its a myth. If people had the same idea and opinions the world would be a completely different place, would it be better? Would it be worse? I don't know.

Really these major decisions which would solve or slow down major problems we have today are made by the powers that be. And money.

Politics is a very hard subject in that everyone has there own reason for a agreeing or disagreeing with what changes are being made etc. But put yourself in a politicians shoes and try to please everyone.

Let's say, you ban plastic to save the oceans, then you have annoyed every company that uses plastic.

Let's say, you give a little percentage of protected land to housing development companies to house more people. You will annoy the environmentalists.

With every new change your making some people happier and some people unhappier.

The only times "people" as in you and me change the world's in a big is either with a great invention (which will be quickly hampered) or by mass agreement (which usually happen through social media).

Part of me would say me already have a solution to the world's energy problem (that being using all the foil fuels and screwing up the ozone layer) but the idea probably came from a usual person, they was the probably offered a good sum of money. Then they sold the idea to Shell or BP, who will sit on the idea until all the oil runs out and there's no more money to make from it.

I know this thread is from a few weeks ago but it made me think.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

We all have our demons and to see the worst of humans you can see it right here on the net. It's called the dark net.

No I haven't been there, I'm not interesting in sickos.
The dark net is 10% people who want to stay anonymous, 10% drug dealers, 10% sickos, 10% hackers ,60% people who are curious because of its highlight in the media.

People have opinions that are oppressed in their countries, by laws bans etc. The dark net is a place they express their opinions. China being a big one.

Back
Top Bottom