Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 09-27-2012, 12:36 AM   #21
In Runtime

Default Re: School days

Hello Junior777.

You raise an interesting question, if this proposal goes through. At what age should the child be for a full school day? (btw I learned that the NJ proposal would eliminate the summer vacation which I think is too drastic). Another question that arises is what would the extra time be used for which I haven't heard discussion on from that radio show (and I'm sure there'll be much discussion in the days ahead on that show). So what do you think?

Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:18 AM   #22
MMM
Daemon Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech Explorer View Post
Since this is my thread, to forestall any possible arguments about how much teachers should get paid, I'd say the best way to determine that is to let the free market system decide. To stay on track, whether the days are shortened or lengthened, you'll always find advantages and disadvantages, but I think it's worth the expense (so long as the school system can afford it) to lengthen the day. I think it'll be interesting to find out how much time other countries outside of the US are devoting towards educating their children and how their programs are working out?
To answer your question here in Australia it was suggested years ago to increase school hours which was rejected as the education authorities thought the school hours were long enough as it is, to increase the hours the students would not cope with the longer hours.
The average school hours in Australia are between 6 to 7 hours a day.

MMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 02:00 PM   #23
In Runtime

One further thought crossed my mind. I wonder whether any private schools here in the US and elsewhere have successful full school day programs?

Tech Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote