School days

Tech Explorer

In Runtime
A bill has passed in the NJ Senate proposing to make the public school system coincide with the workplace hours (8:30 AM - 4:30 PM or 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM) to help prepare schoolchildren for the workplace. So I put it to you: can both the children and the workplace benefit? (I think they can)

That doesn't really make sense. Every work schedule is different. Some people aren't even lucky enough to be 1st shift. My work was 7:00-3:30. My first job was 6:00-2:30, and my other engineering job was 7:30-4. I don't really know anyone that starts as late as 9. And I worked for one of the largest (it once was THE largest) companies in the world...

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the work day still mostly 9 to 5? Anyways the basic idea of the bill is to extend the school day to a full eight hours.

Last edited:
Yeah, I get extending it to 8 hours. There really isn't a standard I don't think. Most salary jobs are flexible anyway.

I can almost guarantee the teacher's union will not allow them to extend it to 8 hours. Chicago just tried...

It might help some parents be home for when their children get home.. but it's also going to require a raise for all of the teachers (as they'd be working longer shifts).

This'll be a hard thing to pass.

Sure to make it tough the kids having to be at school the same time the parent(s) have to be at work. For parents that take thier kids to school that's going to be near impossible to either get them to school on time or the parent(s) to get to work on time.
Where do you come up with this stuff?

Heard this from a radio show. As far as getting to school on time, either a school bus or walking would work (beside walking I also used public transportation). I don't see a conflict here.

There are alternatives such as home schooling or moving to a safer neighborhood. Aside from that, how would lengthening the school day make it more dangerous? I think the biggest issue is how one would handle who gets to use the bathroom?

Correct me if I'm wrong. Isn't the work day still mostly 9 to 5? Anyways the basic idea of the bill is to extend the school day to a full eight hours.
In this day & age 9.00 to 5.00 working hours is changing since society is operating 24 hours a day.
Working hours is varied through out the day, more people do shift work.

I honestly think changing the school hours to coincide is a waste of time....
Leave the children alone and let them be children and act like children, not adults.

Agree: Setishock comments is correct, it no easy task bringing up children and would be a nightmare for a lot of parents if this was to happen

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom