Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 08-09-2008, 01:44 PM   #11
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,007
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
It's pointless to cover it. Georgia is a small country with nice people, Russia will completely devastate Georgia. The End.
not entierly, Georgia is allied to the US, and most of Europe, and is almost guarenteed support from it's powerful allies.

(probably helps that Georgia has natural gas and oil reserves as well).

this will be a long war, it'll also be a long political war also
__________________

__________________
I didn’t fight my way to the top of the food chain to be a vegetarian…
Im sick of people saying 'dont waste paper'. If trees wanted to live, they'd all carry guns.
"The inherent vice of capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings; The inherent vice of socialism is the equal sharing of miseries."
root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 01:50 PM   #12
Golden Master
 
Thelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,410
Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Nah, I'm not saying you are wrong but I highly doubt that either Europe or the US are gonna support Georgia. Georgia's oil may be a motivation, but the fear of a second Cold War will keep these countries at bay, or so I believe.

If you look back to WW1, coalitions have the tendency to break. However, we won't know for sure for a while...

I still have family back in Russia, so they will keep me informed as much as they can.
__________________

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:07 PM   #13
j03
~~~~~~~~
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Wales
Posts: 5,556
Send a message via MSN to j03
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

This may well be the start of WWIII
j03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 02:47 PM   #14
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelis View Post
Nah, I'm not saying you are wrong but I highly doubt that either Europe or the US are gonna support Georgia. Georgia's oil may be a motivation, but the fear of a second Cold War will keep these countries at bay, or so I believe.

If you look back to WW1, coalitions have the tendency to break. However, we won't know for sure for a while...

I still have family back in Russia, so they will keep me informed as much as they can.
US is allied to Georgia but don't care enough to help them when a big country attacks them.
DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:06 PM   #15
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
I can't believe the United States news media isn't covering this. This quote was mentioned on the Situation Room today by a viewer.


Guess I'm not the only one who's frustrated with this poor coverage.
That's because the US media is more concerned with who Paris Hilton is fucking next and John Edwards' sex life. It's a sad, sad world we live in these days.
alvino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:08 PM   #16
muz
Golden Master
 
muz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 6,928
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
not entierly, Georgia is allied to the US, and most of Europe, and is almost guarenteed support from it's powerful allies.

(probably helps that Georgia has natural gas and oil reserves as well).

this will be a long war, it'll also be a long political war also
yer but that support wont be much when both the US and Uk have troops tied up in iraq fighting a war over there

and really do Georgia's allies care enough to get into a conflict with Russia
__________________
Desktop-AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+-2GB Elixer DDR2 800 250gb+500gb+500gb+120gb
Laptop-Apple Macbook Pro 13" Intel core i5(2.3ghz) 4gb Ram 320gb hard drive
muz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 03:31 PM   #17
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by alvino View Post
That's because the US media is more concerned with who Paris Hilton is fucking next and John Edwards' sex life. It's a sad, sad world we live in these days.
Hey, you forgot Pamela Anderson.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #18
Golden Master
 
mammikoura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 7,459
Send a message via MSN to mammikoura
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by root View Post
not entierly, Georgia is allied to the US, and most of Europe, and is almost guarenteed support from it's powerful allies.
support yes. As in financial support, weapons etc. But soldiers to fight the war... I highly doubt it.

The thing is, if there isn't a ceasefire (which I think there will be quite quickly) then Georgia is going down.
__________________
0_o
mammikoura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #19
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Just saw it on the news and it looks real serious. They said georgia has great western allies because of a major oil pipeline that runs through it
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #20
Golden Master
 
DJ-CHRIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 5,203
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via MSN to DJ-CHRIS Send a message via Yahoo to DJ-CHRIS
Default Re: Russia sends troops into Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
yer but that support wont be much when both the US and Uk have troops tied up in iraq fighting a war over there

and really do Georgia's allies care enough to get into a conflict with Russia
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon View Post
Just saw it on the news and it looks real serious. They said georgia has great western allies because of a major oil pipeline that runs through it
They are a great economic and military ally of the US. Georgia military is US trained and US supplied, and they have even supplied a bunch of troops for Iraq and Afghanistan.
__________________

DJ-CHRIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0