Royal Ascot

Brookfield

Golden Master
OK, this is primarily for the British among you, but I guess other nationalities have heard of this famous venue, it was established in 1711, & reopened the other day, completely refurbished, the new grandstand alone cost £200,000,000, the ground floor was packed, it holds 6000, an estimate of racegoers on the first day was 80,000, & in the car park was the greatest gathering in the world of white stretch limo's.

The course was closed for two years for the development to be carried out, races were held at other racecourses in the meantime.

Yesterday was Ladies Day, & outfits costing up to a cool £18,000 were worn, I'm no racegoer, but I was very impressed, make some Brits abroad homesick?

Ummm not really, its just a place for the extravagant and the rich, it would be interesting to know how much government funding went into this project.

Its the same as Wembley stadium, a complete waste of money, yet education, health and social care are struggling to support the people that need it. I am sorry but well horse racing doesn't do it for me.

An outfit costing £18,000, enough money to employ a nurse in a hospital for a year....

i agree with glasseye... total waste of money IMO.

£18,000 for one outfit?! that is a stupid amount of money. things like this annoy me, there are alot of charities out there who could REALLY do with the money. as well as healthcare, and schooling..

My dads been sitting up there in the JCB helicopter, had to fly the bamfords up there today. Dunno if he won anything

I'm not a big follower but I watch some races occasionally, Maurice, do you get the attheraces channel?

GlasseyeUK said:
Ummm not really, its just a place for the extravagant and the rich, it would be interesting to know how much government funding went into this project.

Its the same as Wembley stadium, a complete waste of money, yet education, health and social care are struggling to support the people that need it. I am sorry but well horse racing doesn't do it for me.

An outfit costing £18,000, enough money to employ a nurse in a hospital for a year....
Hmmm, I don't think there was any government funding, though I could be wrong, I think some very rich stables helped with the costs, & probably a couple of equally rich footie stars who own horses too, as for the expensive outfits, women with more money than sense, Victoria Beckham among them, how about yesterday's revelation that meals were costing up to £1000, champagne up to £50 a glass!

It's only the uber-rich acting as they've always acted, their income tax rate should be doubled!

David Lindon said:
I'm not a big follower but I watch some races occasionally, Maurice, do you get the attheraces channel?
If it's on SKY then yes, but channel 4 racing is the best I think, I don't gamble these days, but I do enjoy watching the week-end racing.

99nasha said:
My dads been sitting up there in the JCB helicopter, had to fly the bamfords up there today. Dunno if he won anything
Only one word to say to that, WOW!

Back
Top Bottom