Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 06-22-2006, 05:09 PM   #1
Golden Master

Default Royal Ascot

OK, this is primarily for the British among you, but I guess other nationalities have heard of this famous venue, it was established in 1711, & reopened the other day, completely refurbished, the new grandstand alone cost 200,000,000, the ground floor was packed, it holds 6000, an estimate of racegoers on the first day was 80,000, & in the car park was the greatest gathering in the world of white stretch limo's.

The course was closed for two years for the development to be carried out, races were held at other racecourses in the meantime.

Yesterday was Ladies Day, & outfits costing up to a cool 18,000 were worn, I'm no racegoer, but I was very impressed, make some Brits abroad homesick?

Brookfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:27 PM   #2
Daemon Poster

Send a message via MSN to GlasseyeUK
Default Re: Royal Ascot

Ummm not really, its just a place for the extravagant and the rich, it would be interesting to know how much government funding went into this project.

Its the same as Wembley stadium, a complete waste of money, yet education, health and social care are struggling to support the people that need it. I am sorry but well horse racing doesn't do it for me.

An outfit costing 18,000, enough money to employ a nurse in a hospital for a year....

Time tells all, but if the moment in time passes and you miss it, then you will remember it for ever!!
GlasseyeUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:41 PM   #3
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to mark thorpe Send a message via Yahoo to mark thorpe

i agree with glasseye... total waste of money IMO.

18,000 for one outfit?! that is a stupid amount of money. things like this annoy me, there are alot of charities out there who could REALLY do with the money. as well as healthcare, and schooling..

Winston Churchill, 11/30/1874 - 01/24/1965
mark thorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:48 PM   #4
Fully Optimized

My dads been sitting up there in the JCB helicopter, had to fly the bamfords up there today. Dunno if he won anything
99nasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 05:49 PM   #5
Site Team

I'm not a big follower but I watch some races occasionally, Maurice, do you get the attheraces channel?
David Lindon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 02:51 AM   #6
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlasseyeUK
Ummm not really, its just a place for the extravagant and the rich, it would be interesting to know how much government funding went into this project.

Its the same as Wembley stadium, a complete waste of money, yet education, health and social care are struggling to support the people that need it. I am sorry but well horse racing doesn't do it for me.

An outfit costing 18,000, enough money to employ a nurse in a hospital for a year....
Hmmm, I don't think there was any government funding, though I could be wrong, I think some very rich stables helped with the costs, & probably a couple of equally rich footie stars who own horses too, as for the expensive outfits, women with more money than sense, Victoria Beckham among them, how about yesterday's revelation that meals were costing up to 1000, champagne up to 50 a glass!

It's only the uber-rich acting as they've always acted, their income tax rate should be doubled!
Old 06-23-2006, 02:56 AM   #7
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Lindon
I'm not a big follower but I watch some races occasionally, Maurice, do you get the attheraces channel?
If it's on SKY then yes, but channel 4 racing is the best I think, I don't gamble these days, but I do enjoy watching the week-end racing.
Old 06-23-2006, 03:06 AM   #8
Daemon Poster

Car races?
PCNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 03:46 AM   #9
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99nasha
My dads been sitting up there in the JCB helicopter, had to fly the bamfords up there today. Dunno if he won anything
Only one word to say to that, WOW!
Old 06-23-2006, 03:50 AM   #10
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCNoob
Car races?
Naaah!, not for me, too much noise, much better watching the gentle gee-gee's!