Revenge on my ISP using P2P filtering

lol bell and rogers up here in canada dont have a fair usage policy :)

Both now have caps, Bell Sympatico is at 30GB, Rogers is at 75GB, pay up to 30$ extra on Bell Sympatico if you go over, up to 50$ on rogers if you go over.

This is a graph that I made about my bandwidth in the past 24 hours.
redday2pq1.png

Due to averaging, some of the small dips in the graph are in fact total internet outages, where I experience sync no surf.

Tuesday at 16:00 I started downloading large files via HTTP from a single server
Tuesday at 23:00 I turned off downloading for playing COD4
Tuesday at 23:45 I resume downloading large files via HTTP from a single server
Wensday at 01:30 single stream downloads start to encounter problems, till 06:00. I wasn't up, not sure what happened. Filters are on till 6 AM though afaik.
Wensday at 08:00 I start downloading large files via from two servers
Wensday at 11:00 Still downloading large files via HTTP from two servers, launch a torrent set at 50KB. Bandwidth consumed drops, packet loss incurs.
Wensday at 14:00 Turn off torrents, still downloading two large files via HTTP from two servers. Packet loss disappears, connection is stable.

This method I have of doing stuff should at ALL times use the maximum bandwidth available. Also bandwidth such as spam messages arriving at my firewall is included in this graph. It should be virtually 100% straight, but it is not.

no, i meant like fair use as in "dont use too much this evening"

i know they have caps. rogers caps at 60gb. i usually use about 45

HAAAAAA CHRIS YOU DA MAN!

I have Bell Sympatico too - worst ISP on the planet. You get 30kb??? I only get around 16-20 on my torrents, even with some absurd amount of seeders and a few leechers -_-

Not to mention there "customer support" (if you could call it that) is so BS.... Everytime I call, no matter whats happening, they tell me that my Linksys WRT54G and Apple Airport Extreme Basestations are "incompatible" (as if thats even possible) with their service. WTF?!

One time they we're blocking my brother's IP address because he left some video game torrents on overnight, and when I called some random pakistani guy told me "we do not apply IP blocking on this service" after I told him the problem and my brothers IP. 10 minutes later, everything is normal.

Huh. BS. Total. Crap. Internet.

If my (genius!) mom hadn't locked in on a "contract deal" (because they raised the price of their BS DSL service to $25??!?!?!?! OUTRAGEOUS!) I would've told the tech guys (last time I called they "accidentally" cut our landline while doing maintainence and, again, blamed my router) to f*** himself and get us the hell off that ISP.

Just goes to show you boys and girls - DJs in need of ELECTRONIC MUSIC NEED DECENT INTERNET - And Bell does not supply this.

SO DON'T LOCK IN ON A CONTRACT!!!

Their servers do suck, but not that much NeonFire.... hehe :D

Not sure if their torrent limits apply to every single service, I'm on their DSL connection, Chris is on their High Speed Connection, your on Dialup.... it would seem that way. Aliant is located in different regions that Sympatico, so they probably have different main servers and probably different (more intelligent) staff members setting the limits/maintaining those limits.

And maybe (it might be a long shot) they have better tech support guys.... I don't personally want to find out.

Also, the other night (Wednesday), after having a nice discussion with Chris about these problems, among other things, I suffered TWO connection time outs, heres what happened:

- Got home after a walk, internet was dead.
- checked wires and Bell modem, all status lights were normal
- checked my servers (2 servers, my 2 routers are connected to a seperate servers)
- PC server reports LAN cable has been disconnected, XServe reports Linksys WRT54G router has timed out
- Check router, status lights are normal???
- Check DHCP and DNS settings on routers web interface, everything is normal, DHCP lease is set to expire in 43.6 hours
- XServe can connect to the web (VIA Wired line), Terminal Ping to www.google.com reports almost 80% packet loss
- Reset Routers and Reboot Macbook Pro.... Connection is working, but is very slow
- Dealt with it for the rest of the night >_<

The connection was perfectly fine the next day (after shutting down both servers and turning off Bell Modem overnight). I don't really know WHY it timed out when everything is EXACTLY the same, yet one minute its working, the next its not. The interesting thing is.... my brother was running Azereus in the other room before we left for our walk......

It makes no sense, but its a load of garbage and total nonsense.... it is UNRELIABLE and UNJUST to do this to people for torrenting.... Not all torrents are illegal Bell, so SHOVE IT!

Their servers do suck, but not that much NeonFire.... hehe :D

Not sure if their torrent limits apply to every single service, I'm on their DSL connection, Chris is on their High Speed Connection, your on Dialup.... it would seem that way. Aliant is located in different regions that Sympatico, so they probably have different main servers and probably different (more intelligent) staff members setting the limits/maintaining those limits.

And maybe (it might be a long shot) they have better tech support guys.... I don't personally want to find out.
DSL and high speed is the same thing. Aliant dial-up is branded Sympatico and you can get Bell ExpressVu TV through Aliant and while there definitely are different servers in different provinces, I doubt their policies are much different.

I'm not sure what's worse, really. Bell's ExpressVu tech support or Aliant's internet/phone tech support. I think Aliant is worse. I think they've taken the most uninformed idiots in St. John's and put them in a call center.

Back
Top Bottom