Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-01-2004, 02:00 AM   #1
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Respectful Debate

Airiox, I think it would be okay to debate as long as we set up ground rules.

1) If you say something concerning to economy and taxes, you MUST provide evidence.

2) You cannot disrespect other members from their opinions (no name-calling, flaming, ect.)

3) You cannot say blunt, pointless statements like 'Bush rulz, kerry sux!' . Pointless, stupid, and that makes you look like an idiot. Please give reasons for your opinions, and give reasons for disliking a certain candidate

4) Mods should feel free to delete any posts that they consider innappropriate. Also feel free to add on rules directly to this post.



And Airiox, please clear up your PM folder, i would like to reply to your PM.
__________________

__________________
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 02:04 AM   #2
BSOD
 
Giancarlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,788
Send a message via AIM to Giancarlo
Default Re: Respectful Debate

You should respect a decision made by the moderator.

However, you are wrong on the economy and I can post information that can easily destroy your argument. I can destroy your "Kerry is everything" argument and I can refute your inadequate statements.
__________________

Giancarlo is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 02:36 AM   #3
Fully Optimized
 
rakedog's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,718
Send a message via AIM to rakedog
Default Re: Respectful Debate

When did I say that?
__________________
hackthissite.org (criticalsecurity.net) | gentoo.org

The best argument against evolution are creationists themselves. They prove that life is devolving rather than evolving.
rakedog is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 07:25 AM   #4
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Respectful Debate

Giancarlo, the previous bush/kerry debate would have worked had you been open to other peoples opinions,
And if the rest of you hadn't risen to the bait the thread would still be open.

I know it's annoying when you get some people spouting their mouths off during what is meant to be a nice debate, only saying they know best, not backing up their opinions, stating only their own opinions, and trying to rubbish other peoples quoted facts with their own opinions.

A good lesson in life would be if you learned to be a little bit thicker skinned and ignored people who annoy you, after all it was only meant to be a fun debate.

Giancarlo, Idon't think it matters whether Rakedog is old enough to vote or not, in the UK there is not much public political discussion, people don't talk about politics, and hence have no say in their future, For myself, I'm of voting age, and do vote (when I remember), the only way you can make an informed decision is to look at all the opponents and asses all the facts,

Immediatly writting off kerry, but admitting to have never even assesed his political abilities is like saying you don't like a food before you've tasted it.

I can't believe that you couldn't have a sensible debate without it turning into an argument.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
You should respect a decision made by the moderator.

However, you are wrong on the economy
You should have made that decision, this thread asks that we are able to have sensible debates, and requests that comments like the ones you made in the previous thread are deleted before they can start flame wars,
This thread was not an oppertunity for you to continue fighting accross different threads!

I've left my opinions that would have related to the pervious thread out, -specifically because that thread was closed, I do however have a lot to say on the matter.

Airiox, would it be possible to delete the flames and start the thread again, bearing in mind the basic ground rules for debate that Rakedog has set out above?
root is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 12:29 PM   #5
BSOD
 
Giancarlo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,788
Send a message via AIM to Giancarlo
Default Re: Respectful Debate

Quote:
Originally Posted by root
Giancarlo, the previous bush/kerry debate would have worked had you been open to other peoples opinions,
And if the rest of you hadn't risen to the bait the thread would still be open.
More I have to refute... open to other peoples opinions? I'm sorry but in this race there is no way I can be open to the other side. The country depends on this election.

Quote:
I know it's annoying when you get some people spouting their mouths off during what is meant to be a nice debate, only saying they know best, not backing up their opinions, stating only their own opinions, and trying to rubbish other peoples quoted facts with their own opinions.
Quoted facts? I am the one quoting facts. You on the other hand along with others around here haven't done such a thing. I have backed up my opinions. You better actually read my posts rather then making ridiculous statements like this one.

Quote:
Giancarlo, Idon't think it matters whether Rakedog is old enough to vote or not, in the UK there is not much public political discussion, people don't talk about politics, and hence have no say in their future, For myself, I'm of voting age, and do vote (when I remember), the only way you can make an informed decision is to look at all the opponents and asses all the facts,
You again are not looking at the reality. This is our presidental election, and our country depends on it. The country could end up in destruction if John Kerry is elected. You people on the left talk about facts, facts, facts.. but you don't care ever to use them.

Quote:
Immediatly writting off kerry, but admitting to have never even assesed his political abilities is like saying you don't like a food before you've tasted it.
This is again another ignorant statement. You have to look at history and then you will see the facts. And did I say I never assessed his political abilities? Your ridiculous statements don't work around here.

Quote:
I can't believe that you couldn't have a sensible debate without it turning into an argument.
I talk about the facts and reality. I don't see you people doing that.

Quote:
You should have made that decision, this thread asks that we are able to have sensible debates, and requests that comments like the ones you made in the previous thread are deleted before they can start flame wars,
This thread was not an oppertunity for you to continue fighting accross different threads!
For the most part it was not my fault for them sliding into flame wars.. more like people who had problems reasoning and they got angry because I backed them up into a corner by facts.

Don't make statements where you shouldn't.
Giancarlo is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 12:50 PM   #6
Site Team
 
David Lindon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 15,233
Default Re: Respectful Debate

The staff will keep a close eye on this thread.
__________________
[url=http://www.LNXPS.NET]LNXPS.NET - The XPS Library]
David Lindon is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Respectful Debate

lets hope so....
alvino is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 01:59 PM   #8
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Respectful Debate

[QUOTE=Giancarlo]More I have to refute... open to other peoples opinions? I'm sorry but in this race there is no way I can be open to the other side. The country depends on this election. [quote]You display immense ignorance, no wonder the state of 'your' country is so bad when there are people such as yourself given a vote, You SHOULD weigh up all options, looking at agendas, and not just previous political history, There is a lot that can be said about the previous political career of the current persident, and a lot that can be said about his actions as current persident, and even more that could be said about his ideas for the future...

Suffice to say that since sarting his reign of terror the US economy has seen recessions caused by almost constant political turmoil or war, (china, libia, Afganistan, Iraq), the guy is directly responsible for sending hundreds of people to a war zone (and consiquently to their death).


Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
Quoted facts? I am the one quoting facts. You on the other hand along with others around here haven't done such a thing. I have backed up my opinions. You better actually read my posts rather then making ridiculous statements like this one.
Suggesting that kerry is shit, and saynig that he doesn't care about his career is not evidence without a link to back it up.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
You again are not looking at the reality. This is our presidental election, and our country depends on it. The country could end up in destruction if John Kerry is elected. You people on the left talk about facts, facts, facts.. but you don't care ever to use them.
The part highlighted bold is exactly why you hould assess all the options, Clinton was left and he did good things for america, Stalin was left and he did terrible things for russia!. conversly both hilter and thatcher were on the right, and they did terrible things, (In actual fact hittler wasn't really right wing, he was more central, but also fascist)proof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
This is again another ignorant statement. You have to look at history and then you will see the facts. And did I say I never assessed his political abilities? Your ridiculous statements don't work around here.
This is again another ignorant statement. You have to look at history and then you will see the facts. And did I say I never assessed his political abilities? Your ridiculous statements don't work around here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
I talk about the facts and reality. I don't see you people doing that.
I have not seen you post one single fact backed up with evidence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
For the most part it was not my fault for them sliding into flame wars.. more like people who had problems reasoning and they got angry because I backed them up into a corner by facts.
It was your mindless opinion staing, presented as if it were fact, with no credible backed up base that insighted people, besides which you are the one who started the flames, with starting to call people idiots based on their political opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
Don't make statements where you shouldn't.
Likewise,

------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by me
Just one I'd like to come back to,
Giancarlo, Idon't think it matters whether Rakedog is old enough to vote or not, in the UK there is not much public political discussion, people don't talk about politics, and hence have no say in their future, For myself, I'm of voting age, and do vote (when I remember), the only way you can make an informed decision is to look at all the opponents and asses all the facts,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giancarlo
You again are not looking at the reality. This is our presidental election, and our country depends on it. The country could end up in destruction if John Kerry is elected. You people on the left talk about facts, facts, facts.. but you don't care ever to use them.
My suggestion was that everyone should take, or should at least be allowed to express interest in politics, and I feel that the furture depends on this very much,If nobody is able to talk about politics, or even express an interest in politics, then people will end up like you...

Closed minded, playing up to the most favorite in a popularity contest rather than deciding the serious furutre of their country.
root is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
Golden Master
 
alvino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 19,967
Send a message via AIM to alvino
Default Re: Respectful Debate

dang Root you sure can type ALOT.....
alvino is offline  
Old 11-01-2004, 04:07 PM   #10
Site Team
 
root's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 8,003
Default Re: Respectful Debate

I know, sorry,

I passionatly believe in free and open debate,

especially where politics is concerned, the polititions of our respective countries decide our nations future, and hence our future.

People should be encouraged to explore all options and make their own minds up, not be told they are wrong/too young to take interest in their future.
__________________

root is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0