Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-06-2007, 06:17 AM   #51
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

lol.
im just going to sit back and watch what happens now.
if it does get tossed though then i would like something else to be added.
i mean i know its a computer forum, but i still want it to have a good social aspect and a few little extras
__________________

__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #52
In Runtime
 
AllThingsSacred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 302
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

I do think the reputation system should be removed, and more ranks should be added to users.

There are too many "Gurus" around here and being a "Guru" implies that you have a high level of knowledge about something. This is not something which I have seen from a large number of members here and many posts are simple "lol"s or something similar in order to boost, as well as being outright wrong. It is a classic case of quantity over quality so I think the title "Guru" is misleading.

I propose turning off post counts, turning off reputation and having a whole new set of ranks which trigger automatically depending on post count or moderator discretion.

Reputation is being abused, there are endless threads saying "w00t Im a guru and your not " (well done, you have officially spammed your way up to one thousand posts, would you like a trophy with that?). Why is being a Guru something to be excited about? They are ten-a-penny on this forum so it is hardly special, and it just proves you are posting too much when your time would be best spent doing other things. Also, being a "Guru" on this forum does not necessarily show that you know anything at all, it just shows you are prepared to post more mindless drivel than others.

If post count is not removed universally, I feel it should be removed from the Social Lounge at least.
__________________

__________________
Patrick Moore
Born London, Live London, Die London
As a Londoner, I exercise my God given Right to do as I please
AllThingsSacred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:45 AM   #53
Golden Master
 
MikeReiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,053
Send a message via AIM to MikeReiner Send a message via MSN to MikeReiner Send a message via Yahoo to MikeReiner
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllThingsSacred View Post
I do think the reputation system should be removed, and more ranks should be added to users.

There are too many "Gurus" around here and being a "Guru" implies that you have a high level of knowledge about something. This is not something which I have seen from a large number of members here and many posts are simple "lol"s or something similar in order to boost, as well as being outright wrong. It is a classic case of quantity over quality so I think the title "Guru" is misleading.

I propose turning off post counts, turning off reputation and having a whole new set of ranks which trigger automatically depending on post count or moderator discretion.

Reputation is being abused, there are endless threads saying "w00t Im a guru and your not " (well done, you have officially spammed your way up to one thousand posts, would you like a trophy with that?). Why is being a Guru something to be excited about? They are ten-a-penny on this forum so it is hardly special, and it just proves you are posting too much when your time would be best spent doing other things. Also, being a "Guru" on this forum does not necessarily show that you know anything at all, it just shows you are prepared to post more mindless drivel than others.

If post count is not removed universally, I feel it should be removed from the Social Lounge at least.
Well said. I completely agree.
MikeReiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 11:25 AM   #54
Fully Optimized
 
troy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: USA
Posts: 2,410
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

You could just disable giving rep in social lounge threads, and limit them to sections that have to do with computers, and also limit the amount that can be given per day. I don't like the system though, I've gotten rep for no reason, and one time I got one that said "random repapalooza!" which was stupid.
__________________
Desktop: Dell Dimension E510, 2.5GB RAM, Intel P4 3.0GHZ, 250GB HDD, Windows Vista Premium. Might not be the best, but the old girl is still running good.
troy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 12:16 PM   #55
Golden Master
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 7,534
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy View Post
You could just disable giving rep in social lounge threads, and limit them to sections that have to do with computers, and also limit the amount that can be given per day. I don't like the system though, I've gotten rep for no reason, and one time I got one that said "random repapalooza!" which was stupid.
That's a good idea. (limiting the reputation to the computer-related forums) I really think (if possible) that if new members give you reputation for helping them out with a computer problem, it should count towards your total points. I know there's potential for abuse but what if the points could be moderated by an administrator or something before applied?

The obvious downside of this is it would give the administrator/moderation team much more work to do on top of the current load and could make them focus more on that and less on more important things like actually moderating the forums.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 02:45 PM   #56
Golden Master
 
ISOwner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 12,208
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

The other computer forum that I'm a member on DO NOT include post counts when you reply in the Social Lounge (they call it different, but you get my point). It's fun because people still post in there for everyday conversation deal. It's neat too because it encourages members to be more helpful if they want to have a "high" post count. The system works. If David want to give this a try, I'll be one of the first member to vouch for it.
__________________
*Fact: Microsoft Window's Blue Screen of Death vs Computerforums.org's White Screen of Death. Which is worse?
ISOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:13 PM   #57
Golden Master
 
dude_se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 8,632
Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

i still want post count in the social lounge though. theres some useful stuff in there. i wouldnt mind a garbage section for random threads/spam which had post count disabled though
__________________
Laptop spec: ASUS X53E, i5 2430m 2.4ghz, 3gb ram, 320gb hdd, intel hd graphics, usb 3.0
dude_se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:52 PM   #58
Fully Optimized
 
blackjack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 2,945
Send a message via MSN to blackjack
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_se View Post
i still want post count in the social lounge though. theres some useful stuff in there. i wouldnt mind a garbage section for random threads/spam which had post count disabled though
I like the sound of that mate, I don't think we should lose our post count in the social lounge because its a good forum that most members use, if its bothering other people then they don't have to use it. I can understand members getting annoyed with one word replies though as that is sometimes needless posting.
__________________
Compaq Presario CQ5305K-m Intel® Pentium® Dual Core E5300 (2.6 GHz), Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 2048 MB , Hard drive: 320 Gb, with 18.5 Widescreen
SPURS TILL I DIE (DIAMONDS ARE FOREVER SO ARE SPURS)
TO DARE IS TO DO
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM   #59
In Runtime
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 383
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

As long as people can remain mature about it, and not give negatives for bad reasons I say keep it.
pooker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #60
Golden Master
 
Thelis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 5,410
Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

How about, any thread that a mod deletes or moves to spam does not affect the post count. Then spamming and useless threads won't crop up that fast.
__________________

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0