Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Click Here to Login
Join Computer forums Today

Old 10-03-2007, 10:34 PM   #11
Golden Master

Send a message via MSN to superman22x Send a message via Yahoo to superman22x
Default Re: Rep, keep it or toss it?

Now that thelis is full on rep he doesnt care anymore, lol, jk.
I dont really care either way.
It's true, I really only notice when its red or grey.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:42 PM   #12
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

you know what, I'm only 6 points away from 3 bars.

*goes to check user cp to see who repped him*

^just a though

Old 10-04-2007, 08:05 AM   #13
Golden Master

I say keep it. I mean my life wouldn't be over if it were to be removed, but it doesn't matter that much to me. Reputation has it's advantages and disadvantages, these being:

1. Reputation can be used to see which members are helpful and knowledgeable and which ones aren't, even though rep is being given for a lot of social lounge threads on random.

2. While the rep system is generally good, it does get abused at times. I haven't saw a lot of it on this forum but on forums in general I've noticed lots of rep wars, complaining, etc. over rep points. I admit that I've complained back when I was a newer member about a negative rep point too.

So in the end... it has it's ups and downs; I say keep it for now because it hasn't seemed to cause that many problems.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM   #14
Fully Optimized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
keep it because it helps people show respect and know who to trust.
thats what i think. i give rep to show the person who has justed helped me as a thank you and respect gesture
Core i7 2600K Sandybridge + Prolimatech Megahalems Cooler ₪ Asus P8P67 DELUXE ₪ G.Skill RipJawsX 8GB DDR3 1600MHz ₪ Crossfire 5870's ₪ OCZ GameXstream 850w ₪ X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS edition ₪ OCZ Vertex 3 120GB ₪ Antec P182 ₪ NAS ReadyDuo 4Tb ₪ BenQ FP241WZ 24" Widescreen LCD ₪ Windows 7 x64
Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 11:43 AM   #15
muz
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Personally, I think it's a good idea, but it's being abused. If some members, and you know who you are, would use it properly, it would be great. That means stop giving rep for the "3,000 POSTSST!!11!!!" threads and such. Just give rep when people are helpful.
Yeat but thats another reason why its flawed cos if you are a new member who come here once for like help on one issue and you leave rep no score gets added therefore in my opinion it only rarely gets used properly when like a regular needs help with something
Old 10-04-2007, 12:08 PM   #16
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to dude_se Send a message via MSN to dude_se

i voted for either way. it obviously has its problems, but i also use it sensibly. only around 10% of the rep i give out is pretty pointless
Old 10-04-2007, 01:03 PM   #17
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by muz View Post
Yeat but thats another reason why its flawed cos if you are a new member who come here once for like help on one issue and you leave rep no score gets added therefore in my opinion it only rarely gets used properly when like a regular needs help with something
Yeah, the new members you help can't even affect your reputation points.
LA061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 05:09 PM   #18
Fully Optimized

I don't care either way but voted to ditch it for a couple of reasons:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor View Post
keep it because it helps people show respect and know who to trust.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juice View Post
Rep really shows new members who is the best members on here .....
Both of these are flawed, most members here have high rep because other posters "think they're cool" or some other inane reason, nothing at all to do with technical ability or helpfullness.

Rep and post count mean diddly squat, there are members here who have XXXX rep points and X,000 posts who have absolutely no idea about computers, the whole misconception that a high rep/post count relate to high technical knowledge is laughable, all it means is they post a lot and have "earned" rep points for anything from "yeah I took my first breath today" to "I think you're cool" and "You gave me rep I'll give you some back"

The system is flawed and only good for putting numbers and coloured blocks under your name.

My $0.02

E8600@ 4.25GHz, 1.325V | Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme + Scythe Slipstream 120 | Asus Rampage Extreme| 4GB Corsair 2000MHz 8-8-8-24 @ 1600 6-7-6-24| ASUS 9800GTX| Pioneer 18X SATA DVD-RW | 320GB + 500GB WD SATAII | Antec True Power Trio 650W | Thermaltake Sonata | Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 Ultimate
A True Folder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:13 PM   #19
Fully Optimized

Send a message via AIM to ߧ∩H♠H䎀

Quote:
Originally Posted by freestyler105 View Post
Personally, I think it's a good idea, but it's being abused. If some members, and you know who you are, would use it properly, it would be great. That means stop giving rep for the "3,000 POSTSST!!11!!!" threads and such. Just give rep when people are helpful.
You have nailed it pretty good. Theres one thread I can think of right here on the front page titled well I have 614 rep but no 7th bar?

Take a look at thread and look at how many people are giving thelis rep just because he has 614 rep. And then Thelis goes o that reminds me time to rep back. None of that is real rep. Its rep givin for just doing something. If I remember right he's the same one that made look I have 3 bars look got 4 now etc. Its no wonder he has so much rep. I probally would to if I fished for it like that.

There is only one milestone I posted here and that was my 1k posts thread.

And to A true folder dude just use the 's sign. Hold Alt type 0162 let go of alt.
ߧ∩H♠H䎀 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 PM   #20
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

no, $0.02 looks better than 2, lust my $0.02 (pun intended..... )

anyways, I agree that Mattie on how right Freestyler is.