Removing car battery

Status
Not open for further replies.

berry120

Fully Optimized
OK, seems simple and perhaps it is - I've done it before no problem but this time I'm a bit stuck. Car in question is an 06 Almera 1.5 petrol, trying to work out how to swap the battery over.

Negative terminal is fine, but with the positive terminal I'm greeted with this:

IMG_20110913_134644.jpg

I think the nut I need is the one on the right below the right hand bolt with nothing connected to it, but no idea how to get to it. Any ideas?

Yeah... bad placement, that. Can you get to it from under the buss with a socket, perhaps?

I managed it eventually - I was going to try to undo the nuts at the top to get better access but they wouldn't budge, in fact the connector to the battery started wiggling first. Eventually I decided to just try and wiggle it off, which worked, swapped the battery over (after dropping the retaining clip in the workings and spending half an hour getting the damn thing out) and all is now fine. Think I managed to get it on as securely as it needs to be, it's pretty tight.

Socket would've been my next port of call but I would've had to buy a socket set, not completely out of the question but it was more the time (really needed it working by tonight if possible!)

If anyone knows of an easy "official" way to get it off then I'm all ears... I'm glad it doesn't look like it's just me being a complete moron though :)

You see the square nut that's on the actual round terminal post?

Don't move that, use an open ended wrench (crescent spanner) on the hex nut at the other end of that bolt, that will open the clamp and allow you to take the block off of the battery terminal.

It looks a bit cruddy so you might want to use a little wd40/gt85 etc to make the bolt a little easier. Wiggle it/use a flat screw driver to prize the clip open a little.

Also, if you don't wan't the crud to come back try smearing a little Vaseline on the battery terminals it helps improve the connection and keeps out dirt and moisture.

I've got exactly the same problem, what a weird way to secure a battery conection!.....

I managed it eventually - I was going to try to undo the nuts at the top to get better access but they wouldn't budge, in fact the connector to the battery started wiggling first. Eventually I decided to just try and wiggle it off, which worked, swapped the battery over (after dropping the retaining clip in the workings and spending half an hour getting the damn thing out) and all is now fine. Think I managed to get it on as securely as it needs to be, it's pretty tight.

Socket would've been my next port of call but I would've had to buy a socket set, not completely out of the question but it was more the time (really needed it working by tonight if possible!)

If anyone knows of an easy "official" way to get it off then I'm all ears... I'm glad it doesn't look like it's just me being a complete moron though :)

Eventually I managed to undo the nuts at the top but that hasn't made any difference, plate is still in the way. Whilst doing this, the connector didn't move as you had experienced, but the plate started bending and would have snapped off if I didn't hold it in place with an adjustable spanner grip.

A socket set doesn't help, you just can't get to that nut with a socket as the plate is completely in the way.

You see the square nut that's on the actual round terminal post?

Don't move that, use an open ended wrench (crescent spanner) on the hex nut at the other end of that bolt, that will open the clamp and allow you to take the block off of the battery terminal.

Yes that is the nut that needs to be undone, but it is impossible to get an open ended wrench at that, look at the gap on the left hand side of it, it is about 1mm, you can't get a wrench around both sides of the nut. The gap on the right hand side is also small so can't get a wrench hooked around there.

Any ideas please?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom