Remote Desktop

PuNkY

In Runtime
Im just wondering if anyone leaves their computer on during the day (downloading big files or just for the hell of it) and go on another computer when you get the chance and check on yours. I wanna make sure im not the only one.

I mainly leave it on cause its the ultimate proxy server and worried im going to burn out my CPU. When im at school they blocked every proxy server on the net, but dont think about remote desktop. So I can access anything I want. :p

I never use it, its always disabled. I just think if you leave it open, then your more vulnerable to an attacker.

I never feel the urge to check how my computer is going when ive been away from it for a few hours, that dedication man.:)

I often leave my computer on overnight if im downloading a big file or if im going out during the day, i dont think you would burn out your cpu unless you are overclocking it and dont have a surficient cooling system. the only thing i do is switch of the monitor as you could in theory burn out your screen in your monitor.

i have 1 media server on 24/7 in england that i control for my young nephews (for movies, games etc, their mother just doesn't trust them)
another in Amsterdam on 24/7 for work.
and these 2 in Paris must be on 20hrs a day.

Not very eco friendly, but hey.

I occasionally remotely access my desktop thru logmein (based on pc anywhere). This is one of my favorite remote access programs as it does not require and router level configuration. Using this across the internet is better than other software as you don't need to leave ports open.

I also use Apple Remote Desktop to control 23 macs at school. Apple Remote Desktop is my favorite remote control software. Theirs also thousands of PC's running lanschool remote control software which is totally insecure and total shit. However I don't touch PC's much.

At work we use a few different kinds of remote control software. For administrative use (what I do) we use Desktop Authority (based on pc anywhere). Thin client uses use mstsc (microsoft remote desktop) to connect to terminal servers. Windows clients that need unix applications use X11 to connect to servers.

The only time my compputer is on is when I get home from school, in the mornings and during the day its never on.

freestyler105 said:
I use logmein at school for a proxy. Plus you can use AIM and such.
I would use logmein at school, but it comes up block for proxy. I like logmein better because of security and seems faster than windows remote desktop.

Back
Top Bottom