Reasons I Need A Car

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTW: FWD CARS (not trucks or SUVs) are > than RWD cars in the winter IMO..seriously. A lot of people probably agree with me. I mean, there's no comparison to a 4x4 truck or SUV of course...

I actually prefer RWD in the snow, possibly because it's what I learned on, fairly easy to control after you get the hang of it IMHO. Mind you the RWD car I learned on was far higher off the ground than what we drive now, which is fairly sporty and acts as a snowplow.

Isnt it best to not step on the break when we lose control and just let it slide?
Depends...if you're going too fast, then your brakes aren't going to do it. That is when you should "power through the turn" like I said.

If you're going as slow as you should be for the conditions, hopefully your brakes will stop you, even if you spin out.

Isnt it best to not step on the break when we lose control and just let it slide?
Nope, my friend thought that too. You are supposed to pump the breaks, or if anti-locks, just slam on them. My friend smashed his civic into a tree and down a hill on my gravel road in January. Destroyed the car. Our road was covered in a good 3" of ice too...
I actually prefer RWD in the snow, possibly because it's what I learned on, fairly easy to control after you get the hang of it IMHO. Mind you the RWD car I learned on was far higher off the ground than what we drive now, which is fairly sporty and acts as a snowplow.
It is fairly easy to control once you get the hang of it, but FWD cars are still much better and easier to get the hang of, and once you do, they are much better.

If you have ABS, slamming on the brakes will probably help slow you down while you try to turn to avoid crashing. If not, you can try to pump the brakes yourself.

FWD is much better in snow for a beginner--I love driving my Saab in the winter..it handles nicely.

But I love driving my RWD (4x4) Explorer in the winter though--when about to spin out, it usually is necessary to power through the spin to at the most stay on the road. You might still spin, but at least by powering through you don't end up in the ditch like you do when you slam on the brakes (if you are going real fast).

That's great and all, but it doesn't work for me. In the winter in Buffalo that RWD Mustang isn't going to be able to get out of my driveway. Not to mention the safety...
read the post V V V V
pud said:
Heres an example of what I mean...not saying you have to do this, buts its just to give you an idea of what Im talking about....Now like I said, doesnt have to be a mustang, or even a v8 domestic...there are lots of cars out there that offer potential like I speak of.

I NEED AWD
no you dont, theres no amount of reasoning you could possibly spew at me that would convince me that anyone NEEDS awd. Sure it would be awsome, yes it does make life much easier behind the wheel in snow...but you dont need it.
You guys haven't driven in Buffalo during storms.
Youre right, Ive never had the pleasure of driving as far south on the globe as that. Im in northern alberta, canada....where summer is the week between spring and fall, winter lasts 8 months. I bet they even plow the roads there in Buffalo, must be nice.

this thread has taken a turn for the worse. We're recieving driving lessons from a 16 y/o kid...very bad driving lessons at that.

We all (all= ppl older than you) know not a damn thing we say is going to change your mind, we arent dumb...we've all been there and know exactly what youre thinking. Now that we have the opportunity to look back on our days of being 16, we are able to give advice regarding our own experiences. Thats the beauty of life, age and wisdom.
At any rate, you NEED an suv. Everything youve said you NEED in a vehicle, is more suited to an SUV/truck. For an EXAMPLE:
Ford explorers come in shift on the fly 4wd (they have an electronically controlled awd t-case), they are stronger (safer) than a car because they are bigger and have a full frame. You sit higher up which is nice because you can see more around you thus more awareness. Also being they are taller, means that the COG is higher than that of a car...and a smart person does not try to carve corners in them at high speeds, also making the suv a safer choice.
Now dont start MPG bs'ing me...youre looking at a twin turbo car, youre going to hit the skinny pedal once, spool the turbo up till she sings and you'll be hooked.

Do yourself a favour, get a 3-5$k car and make a deal with your dad to put the difference in an investment for your later on in life needs....there will be many. That is a smart, responsible choice.

ps have fun in the car.

Grande Prairie. Originally from Kelowna, BC tho...much nicer there than here.
We're still 100% winter here, 'cept its not -35c this week.

read the post V V V V

no you dont, theres no amount of reasoning you could possibly spew at me that would convince me that anyone NEEDS awd. Sure it would be awsome, yes it does make life much easier behind the wheel in snow...but you dont need it.

Youre right, Ive never had the pleasure of driving as far south on the globe as that. Im in northern alberta, canada....where summer is the week between spring and fall, winter lasts 8 months. I bet they even plow the roads there in Buffalo, must be nice.

this thread has taken a turn for the worse. We're recieving driving lessons from a 16 y/o kid...very bad driving lessons at that.

We all (all= ppl older than you) know not a damn thing we say is going to change your mind, we arent dumb...we've all been there and know exactly what youre thinking. Now that we have the opportunity to look back on our days of being 16, we are able to give advice regarding our own experiences. Thats the beauty of life, age and wisdom.
At any rate, you NEED an suv. Everything youve said you NEED in a vehicle, is more suited to an SUV/truck. For an EXAMPLE:
Ford explorers come in shift on the fly 4wd (they have an electronically controlled awd t-case), they are stronger (safer) than a car because they are bigger and have a full frame. You sit higher up which is nice because you can see more around you thus more awareness. Also being they are taller, means that the COG is higher than that of a car...and a smart person does not try to carve corners in them at high speeds, also making the suv a safer choice.
Now dont start MPG bs'ing me...youre looking at a twin turbo car, youre going to hit the skinny pedal once, spool the turbo up till she sings and you'll be hooked.

Do yourself a favour, get a 3-5$k car and make a deal with your dad to put the difference in an investment for your later on in life needs....there will be many. That is a smart, responsible choice.

ps have fun in the car.

I couldn't agree with anything you've said, more. Very good post Pud. I think you've put everything we've said here into one good post. I agree with the SUV idea--in fact, that's kinda why I mentioned I drive mine in the winter mostly. If anything, he DOES need an SUV...not an AWD Audi for goodness sakes. And you are right on with MPG too. My '99 Explorer is a 4x4 with a V6 and it's the Eddie Bauer edition. I'm glad I got a V6, because the MPG is just right and has plenty of power. I get about 16-18 in town and about 24-26 on the highway (60mph); interstate is a different story, aboud 16mpg there (70-75mph). If you are seriously worried about snow, an AWD CAR isn't going to be much help if the plows haven't been out...you'll be doing the plowing--just get a cheap SUV. Explorers are quite cheap now for the older models ('95-03 or so) especially cuz gas prices had such a negative effect on their sales a while back.

Grande Prairie. Originally from Kelowna, BC tho...much nicer there than here.
We're still 100% winter here, 'cept its not -35c this week.

ah ya Kelowna is niiice. I actually love all of southern BC. Lethbridge is not too bad right now. Temperatures a lower than usual though. It's almost borderline t-shirt weather haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom