Realisticly,How do YOU See the Future of computers in the next 5 or 10 years?

I don't think Linux will ever be the number 1 used OS. It may go up in users some. I don't use it because all the software I have doesn't work on Linux. I'd be more open to use it if more support was there.

Based on the trend of the last 10 years, I'd say 32GB ram is at least available, and widely used, if not mainstream. At least 8 core CPUs, if not more. CDs basically gone, optical drives start losing support of CDs. Several gigs of ram on graphic cards. PCI-e 2.0 slot like the PCI slot is now, new kind of slot, more powerful than PCI-e for graphics cards, basic PCI slot dropped. PS/2 keyboards and mice long gone. Most everything wireless. DSL internet is like dialup now, fiberoptic internet like DSL now, dialup gone. Everything more energy efficient. USB port replaced by some other new type of port. Some new type of monitor.

I can't say I would like some of these things, such as the wireless stuff, but this is just my idea of what it will be like in 10 years. I would hate to have touch screens for my desktop system. It's easier to use a mouse and keyboard. Maybe a mainstream thing with notebooks, but I can't see it being comfortable to use a touch screen on a desktop.

It's been predicted that all the trappings of a computer will be woven into the jacket at the point of making, the power would be from a credit card size long-lasting battery in the lining of the jacket, to complete the picture, a keyboard in a sleeve on the forearm, & a H.U.D. [head-up display] built into a lightweight pair of glasses would serve as an virtual 17" screen.

is it physically possible for people to focus on something that close to them? Might be with some insane optics engineering to make it "appear" to be focused but man, that would be a chore.

I don't think Linux will ever be the number 1 used OS. It may go up in users some. I don't use it because all the software I have doesn't work on Linux. I'd be more open to use it if more support was there.

Based on the trend of the last 10 years, I'd say 32GB ram is at least available, and widely used, if not mainstream. At least 8 core CPUs, if not more. CDs basically gone, optical drives start losing support of CDs. Several gigs of ram on graphic cards. PCI-e 2.0 slot like the PCI slot is now, new kind of slot, more powerful than PCI-e for graphics cards, basic PCI slot dropped. PS/2 keyboards and mice long gone. Most everything wireless. DSL internet is like dialup now, fiberoptic internet like DSL now, dialup gone. Everything more energy efficient. USB port replaced by some other new type of port. Some new type of monitor.

I can't say I would like some of these things, such as the wireless stuff, but this is just my idea of what it will be like in 10 years. I would hate to have touch screens for my desktop system. It's easier to use a mouse and keyboard. Maybe a mainstream thing with notebooks, but I can't see it being comfortable to use a touch screen on a desktop.

You can only cut the die so much... At some point, more cores will be worse and at that point, the CPUs will change their architecture completely and start from one core again. Then it will become a dual core, etc... the circle goes on.

Yeah, the only reason we are adding cores together at the moment, is because of limiting factors with the on core single core processors have.
If that was took away, there'd be no need for dual core, etc.

Yeah I'd say that in 10 years, the term 'core' won't apply to anything. The processors will reach new heights, and some other sort of expansion will become available.

Wrong, we probably use all our brain, BUT, never all at once. I've heard only 10% is active at any one time. That doesn't mean you only use 10% of the space, because each section is used for different things.

Kage;7****6 said:
Wrong, we probably use all our brain, BUT, never all at once. I've heard only 10% is active at any one time. That doesn't mean you only use 10% of the space, because each section is used for different things.

QFT!

Back
Top Bottom