Realisticly,How do YOU See the Future of computers in the next 5 or 10 years?

ya, SSD are already coming into the maintreme market ( ASUS PeeCee uses one)

but my predicions, computer are going to turn into a room that surrounds u in a 3d VR program, like that short story/ short movie made in the 80's about how it kills ppl, or that program they used in Jason X,the one were Jason is in space.

ne way, imagin Crysis playin on that thing

Honestly I don't see computing speeds getting much faster for home users, I still believe that they'll cram more transitors on smaller dies to keep 'moores law' alive, but I don't see as there will need to be the greatest increase in speed.

What I do envisage will be one of the next big things (mostly driven by big business) will be a green initiative this has already started using mobile type processors in desktop systems,
I think that people will start to want and demand lower powered machines, like I say driven by mainly larger businesses who'll have perhaps a thousand computers. a ten watt reduction in power consumption would be a ten thousand decrease in the power used (wattage) at a price of 10p per kilowatt hour (which is actually cheap for energy) this is a thousand pound an hour saving for business.

i see video cards supporting 5.1 sound as well in an attempt to drive out the sound card industry
i see graphic card ports slandered on gaming laptops so you can replace a gpu
and i see solid state drives start becoming very popular as hard drives are only used on servers where a lot of space is needed

Neodude I like your predictions.

I see the standard monitor size hitting 22" easily. Computer towers will get smaller, sleeker and offer more "style" for the buyer. I think companies will begin to focus more on efficiency and ability of their components rather than raw power and size. Just like how multi-core processors replaced single-core processors, this will continue to be the trend for many other parts to come. You won't need to have three video cards SLI'd to have the best graphics for games.

I also see huge, affordable hard drives popping up in the near future. 2, 4, 5 TB storage for affordable prices.

Oh, and something nobody touched on yet... I have a feeling that touchscreen monitors will be leading the industry in 5-10 years. Bigtime. Moving icons around with your fingers, resizing windows/photos with pinching (like on our iPhones) etc.

Its gonna be fun :)

I'd love to have a computer that is just a flat panel monitor of today. Not an oversized monitor, but like a sleek flat screen that has all the stuff in it, and it uses a wireless mouse, and has a projected keyboard like for palm pilots. That would own.

a projected keyboard like for palm pilots. That would own.

You can actually get a projected keyboards. Some that connect wirelessly. http://www.virtual-laser-keyboard.com/

No one has mentioned anything about the OS. I think that Microsoft's Windows will start to make a turn for the worst. Yes they have a majority of the market right now. But, a lot of the software that you need or want is both proprietary, and cost money. Look for example at the hottest game on the forum right now Crysis. You have to buy that game.

I believe and project, that Linux is the OS of the future. The big thing about that is that is is FREE. You still have to buy Windows. Linux is open source, this allows anyone to look at any of the source code, and change it to either fit their needs or to make it better. Or just to look at what people are doing. Now yes I do know that saying this is making a big statement, but look at the current Linux usage. With Dell taking the Ubuntu OS and putting it on there computers, there has been a huge influx of people that are turning to it. Thats all :)

I'd love to have a computer that is just a flat panel monitor of today. Not an oversized monitor, but like a sleek flat screen that has all the stuff in it, and it uses a wireless mouse, and has a projected keyboard like for palm pilots. That would own.

Almost... like... a... mac.

Back
Top Bottom