Rate my avatar!

Please forgive my unintended ignorance and rudeness Ma'am.

It's fine. I tend to make the same assumption pretty often on these websites. There just aren't that many women on most computer forums.

This is informative, specially for someone never been to the States before.

Keep in mind that what I said was very general, and a fairly large chunk of the population would feel differently. However, I do feel that it's a fairly accurate generalization of certain aspects of our culture.

having this conversation, I have nothing but respect to all accents and dialects and their people by default.

I have a distinctive dialect that belongs to a minority here in Saudi Arabia.

Most people in my city (myself included) don't really have a strong accent. There are some areas around here where people still have the Cajun accent though. It's pretty unique and interesting, but doesn't get represented well on TV and such.

Here's the best examples I could find on youtube. Cajun French is still around, but it's becoming increasingly uncommon. Skip to about 17 seconds on the first one.

Spicy Cajun Accents (from AMERICAN TONGUES) - YouTube

Old cajun man explains the scene of a crime - YouTube

Last edited:
It's fine. I tend to make the same assumption pretty often on these websites. There just aren't that many women on most computer forums.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2QtyHultEA

It is rare on Arabic websites in general, exists, but rare.

I remember one male member had a username that sounds feminine, but the meaning was masculine, and had troubles with other members referring to him as a woman. He then made an avatar of his username graphically presented with a mustache embedded on it.

That was hilarious. Didn't do the trick tho.

Hmm, there must be a way to put the gender under the avatar.

Keep in mind that what I said was very general, and a fairly large chunk of the population would feel differently. However, I do feel that it's a fairly accurate generalization of certain aspects of our culture.

Gotta be careful then, if I am to visit the States some time.

Most people in my city (myself included) don't really have a strong accent. There are some areas around here where people still have the Cajun accent though. It's pretty unique and interesting, but doesn't get represented well on TV and such.

I'll check the videos when I get back home. The titles sound interesting.

Now I have other things to do back at home, other than playing Volgarr the Viking and watch anime and cartoons.

It is rare on Arabic websites in general, exists, but rare.

I remember one male member had a username that sounds feminine, but the meaning was masculine, and had troubles with other members referring to him as a woman. He then made an avatar of his username graphically presented with a mustache embedded on it.

That was hilarious. Didn't do the trick tho.

Hmm, there must be a way to put the gender under the avatar.

Eh, it's not a big deal for most people. I've seen a few websites that had it as an option, and one that had a "pronouns" field near where the location is listed.

Gotta be careful then, if I am to visit the States some time.

Nah. You're not in any significant danger or anything. There's just an "I don't like them[/]" attitude in some areas (mainly more rural areas or the south.) You may get rude comments here and there, but I doubt it'd go any farther than that. Being middle eastern is probably the worst case scenario though, especially after 9/11 and the media's portrayal of Islam.

I'll check the videos when I get back home. The titles sound interesting.

Now I have other things to do back at home, other than playing Volgarr the Viking and watch anime and cartoons.

Nice. Which ones are you watching?

Eh, it's not a big deal for most people. I've seen a few websites that had it as an option, and one that had a "pronouns" field near where the location is listed.

Guess I'm getting so worked up on it because of my field of work. I'm a secretary that always use honorifics to show respect.

Nah. You're not in any significant danger or anything. There's just an "I don't like them[/]" attitude in some areas (mainly more rural areas or the south.) You may get rude comments here and there, but I doubt it'd go any farther than that. Being middle eastern is probably the worst case scenario though, especially after 9/11 and the media's portrayal of Islam.

Then it is the usual worldwide somehow.

Don't worry about me being middle eastern. From an angle I look Asian and my English sounds so not middle eastern :)

Believe it or not, here Saudis avoid contact with foreigners out of fear. Of what, I dunno. A Chinese guest to the company once was stopped by highway patrol for exceeding speed limit (well done man). He says that the officer turned blue after knowing he was Chinese and let him go.

May be because of the language, as Saudis deal with Arab foreigners much easier.

There are so many Christian middle eastern (e.g. in Lebanon and Egypt) and some Jewish (in Yemen) btw. Many of them work here with me in the company.

Nice. Which ones are you watching?

Lets see; other than the usual Naruto and One Piece, there is Attack of the Titans for action and Kimi no Iru something for drama. Can't collect my thoughts here in the office.

Frankly, I do watch drama/romance, won't lie about it.

Current running series don't meet my expectations like the previous ones, with the newly started as an exception as I haven't seen them yet . I need something with good action like Basilisk and good drama/comedy like Maison Ikkoku if I get the name right.

On the western shows department, I love new WB superhero movies. Too bad they discontinued Young Justice.

Ultimate Spider-man is cool, but more comedy than action. Don't miss the episode with Wolverine.

Yup, I am 31 :whistling:

There are so many Christian middle eastern (e.g. in Lebanon and Egypt) and some Jewish (in Yemen) btw. Many of them work here with me in the company.

Oh, I'm aware of this. That doesn't mean your average redneck is though. Most of my family seems to think that everyone over there is some ass-backwards, Christian-hating, spouse-abusing terrorist. Attempting to argue otherwise is pointless, because they'll just start throwing anecdotes and extreme exaggerations at me. For example, they seriously believe that the entire middle east celebrated after 9/11. It's impossible to refute. I've tried showing poll results, reactions from leaders, etc. and always get "WELL WHY WERE THEY CELEBRATING?! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU." All the footage they saw on the news was from one single incident, but somehow it's become distorted to the point where it encompasses an entire region's worth of people. It's also completely impossible to explain the reasoning behind the attacks because they insist on believing that it's something as stupid as "they hate our freedom" or "they want to kill all non-Muslims." Hooray for living in the south...

Lets see; other than the usual Naruto and One Piece, there is Attack of the Titans for action and Kimi no Iru something for drama. Can't collect my thoughts here in the office.

Frankly, I do watch drama/romance, won't lie about it.

Current running series don't meet my expectations like the previous ones, with the newly started as an exception as I haven't seen them yet . I need something with good action like Basilisk and good drama/comedy like Maison Ikkoku if I get the name right.

Well, the new season is just starting, so not all of them have premiered yet. So far, Coppelion looks like it may be good (for the animation if nothing else) and Pupa is rather promising if it ever gets an air date. There's also season 2 of Magi just starting. Kill la Kill is total crap though. I can't see why it's so hyped. Feels like it was written by a bunch of adolescent boys with AD/HD.

The only real standout last season was Attack on Titan. I also liked the first half or so of Railgun S, but it switched to a different arc that just wasn't good.

I generally like the dark or psychological stuff, so my all-time favorites are Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (make sure you watch kai as well), Monster, and Madoka Magica (that animation is so beautiful.) If you haven't seen any of those, give them a try.

On the western shows department, I love new WB superhero movies. Too bad they discontinued Young Justice.

Ultimate Spider-man is cool, but more comedy than action. Don't miss the episode with Wolverine.

Yup, I am 31 :whistling:

I'm not really into the superhero stuff personally. If you like good drama though, watch Breaking Bad. It's definitely the best drama series I've ever seen, by far.

Last edited:
Oh, I'm aware of this. That doesn't mean your average redneck is though. Most of my family seems to think that everyone over there is some ass-backwards, Christian-hating, spouse-abusing terrorist. Attempting to argue otherwise is pointless, because they'll just start throwing anecdotes and extreme exaggerations at me. For example, they seriously believe that the entire middle east celebrated after 9/11. It's impossible to refute. I've tried showing poll results, reactions from leaders, etc. and always get "WELL WHY WERE THEY CELEBRATING?! I DON'T BELIEVE YOU." All the footage they saw on the news was from one single incident, but somehow it's become distorted to the point where it encompasses an entire region's worth of people. It's also completely impossible to explain the reasoning behind the attacks because they insist on believing that it's something as stupid as "they hate our freedom" or "they want to kill all non-Muslims." Hooray for living in the south...

It's ok. These are only thoughts. When it comes to good, thoughts count, provided the intention is honest, but when it comes to bad, thoughts don't count unless the bad is practically done. This is part of our teachings.

Don't blame them, they are probably worried about their loved ones. Including you.

Btw, I never knew of those celebrations until recently (about a month ago) when someone not in favor of Islam told me about it. Do they take place in Iraq? Or maybe Syria? Possibly in Saudi Arabia (big country)?

Try showing them some of Yusuf Estes's youtube videos. He's an American Muslim who used to be a pastor. His way is convincing.

Seen all youtube links you posted. Loved them. The Cajun dialect is new to me. Sound to me like the Cockney dialect in parts of London.

Well, the new season is just starting, so not all of them have premiered yet. So far, Coppelion looks like it may be good (for the animation if nothing else) and Pupa is rather promising if it ever gets an air date. There's also season 2 of Magi just starting. Kill la Kill is total crap though. I can't see why it's so hyped. Feels like it was written by a bunch of adolescent boys with AD/HD.

The only real standout last season was Attack on Titan. I also liked the first half or so of Railgun S, but it switched to a different arc that just wasn't good.

I generally like the dark or psychological stuff, so my all-time favorites are Serial Experiments Lain, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni (make sure you watch kai as well), Monster, and Madoka Magica (that animation is so beautiful.) If you haven't seen any of those, give them a try.

Yup, just downloaded the first episodes of some of them. Magi S2 continuing is a very good news. The first season was great. Some of what I really like to have continued is Gantz and Berserk in the first anime style.

I've seen Monster and loved it. I'm a little picky in many things like the main character(s). Certain specs are needed for certain genres. Don't like weak boys as main characters in action shows for example. If you like psy. stuff, try Technolyze. English dubbing was done very well on it as well.

I'm not really into the superhero stuff personally. If you like good drama though, watch Breaking Bad. It's definitely the best drama series I've ever seen, by far.

Actually, it is 70% Batman 20% Superman and the Flash and 10% the rest of them all.

In other words, Batman is what I first look for. His latest movies were top notch, specially Batman Year One and Batman under the Red Hood. Lots of drama too. Contents are becoming more like those of live action movies. Now blood and violence are presented unlike what we knew about WB as kids.

Justice League the Flashpoint was great too, specially that Batman was presented in a very different way. The main character is the Flash, but Batman was a secondary just a little less important character.

Breaking bad is worse then Family guy, And I truly hate family guy... If you guys want something funny, watch the Big bang theory, its pretty good, minus sometimes they over do it with sexuality.. Or How i met your mother. It's actually pretty funny. Bones and The mentalist are probably my only crime show series that I even remotely like.

Why are we all talking about movies anyways...:whistling:

Back
Top Bottom