Ranting about Marching Band.. its a good thing

FlightSimBoy

Fully Optimized
Ok, if you are involved in a marching band in any way, you know what I am talking about. This is high school level, btw...

And sorry for the long post, this is mostly a rant.

We have been practicing from 8 to 12 every day for the past 3 weeks. The first week was to teach the freshman how to march, and make sure everyone was in shape. So, from the start of last week to today, we have been setting our drill spots for our show. Well, here's when it gets exciting. Our show contains 101 sets of drill. We have set them all.

Our first song is roughly 3 minutes long, and contains 49 sets of drill. The song is in 12/8 time (it marches like 4/4), and is around a tempo of 152. Our second song is around 2 minutes long, and contains only 15 sets of drill. It's in 4/4 time. It is a really musically intense ballad, at a tempo of about 108. After the ballad is a 1 minute drum feature that bases it's music off of Clint Mansell's work, Requiem of a Dream. It starts at 108 but gradually works its tempo up to about 140. It has 15 sets of drill, which gradually get harder and harder to march. Our final song is sort of in a party like atmosphere, but has some intense points. It is around 3 minutes long, in 4/4 time, and has a tempo of 140 for the first 70 measures, and about 180 for the last 30. It has 22 sets of drill.

So, with that in mind. 101 total sets of drill. and set them all, put music to it, and have thrown in some visuals in 8 days. We have yet to do a full run through, but that will come tomorrow.

I don't want to brag or anything, but setting 101 sets of drill and adding music + visuals to it in 8 days.... That has to have some historical value among marching bands. Even drum corps...

Not to mention, most of the time it has been 90 to 100 degrees temperature wise. Of course we get breaks when we need them (roughly a 15 minute one every hour, which is a little above what our state law actually requires)

If you want to hear our show, it can be found here: http://www.jksmusic.com/mb/index.php?musicID=2.
The drum feature is before the really intense part of Mvt. 2. The flute solo at the beginning of 3 has been removed. (we start Mvt. 3 at the tuba solo) Our music is slightly different from the version on the website. I don't think there is a link to the drum feature anywhere.

Well, that thread is over with. thanks!

When I read this thread it reminded me of the American pie film Band Camp lol, it sounds like intense stuff and you get my vote for your effort.

We got a new director for marching band this year, normally we do two weeks of band camp for one show. This year its one week from 8-3, and two days of 8-5 to learn our competition show(Heroes Fallen Not Forgotten), and a half time football show which is a show set to two different Jackson 5 tunes. I forgot what the link to the music was though...

What size is your band? I remember you saying you went to Hurricane High I looked that up on wikipedia and it has like 1,113 students it said

we have about 80 wind instruments, 15 marching percussion, 20 in the pit and 15 color guards. i guess we have a pretty good sized band. :)

Back
Top Bottom