Random Chit Chat #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is going to be kind of a rant post.

Today, started off as rather dreary, rainey, blank day. Later that day there was a medical call in my community for my neighbor, he is horribly diabetic and has lost both his legs to the disease, sadly through his poor management of not taking care of himself and eating things he ought not have eaten. His daughter called 911 because his sugar was low, they sent an ambulance and although our fire department doesn't typically run medical calls I responded...in as small of a community as i live in you know everybody and it puts a knot in my stomach whenever i hear a page anywhere around here. These people are like family to me

I knew he was diabetic, but when i heard the address they didn't say what his problem was. I got there to find out his sugar was low, they carried him to the hospital and he should be fine. But when I got out of my car and walked up to his house and saw him I just have a horrible feeling I'm never going to see him again, which sounds fucked up because there's no way I could know that. But weather you believe in psychic stuff or not I get bad feelings alot, and when I do, bad things usually happen...car wrecks, bad storms and I've had them happen when a friend was killed in a car wreck. Anyway back on topic, this mans living situation is heartbreaking what family he has doesn't care for him and he doesn't talk to them, most days when I see him he has his wheelchair in the door way to his trailer and all he does is watch what few cars happen to pass thru our community go by.

He's been on my mind the whole day, I just can't get him out of my head. It's this end of being a first responder I hate. The people...most times I will never see the people I help again, but afterward when it all sinks in I always think that they are just that...People. Individuals who are infinetly complex with their own set of experiences, perspectives and most times I don't even know their damn name. It hits home even more when you know them, but I just can't forget that look on his face, the sadness in his eyes.

Jesus I know he will probably be fine...but why the hell can't I get his face out of my head?

I have things like this it's weird. When I see someone doing something in a super market like a bloke but some bread in his basket without putting a wrapper on it... I wanted to help becuase the poor guy didn't realise. :(

heh, just got back from skeet shooting (shooting clay targets)

man, do i suck. out of maybe 30 shells i destroyed 2 targets and nicked 3-4. but in my defense, the main gun i shot (my friends 20 gauge, but also his 12 gauge shotgun) the 20 gauge had a tight choke and shot a really tight pattern, bad for poor shots like me:p when the targets got out at about 20-30 yards unless i was aiming right where it was going to be i was missing:p if the pattern wasn't so tight on the 20 gauge it could kill some skeet. the 12 gauge wasn't as tight but good God would that thing kick!

all in all it was really good fun, loud but fun:D

watermark.php

...Where do I buy that poster :p

This is going to be kind of a rant post.

Today, started off as rather dreary, rainey, blank day. Later that day there was a medical call in my community for my neighbor, he is horribly diabetic and has lost both his legs to the disease, sadly through his poor management of not taking care of himself and eating things he ought not have eaten. His daughter called 911 because his sugar was low, they sent an ambulance and although our fire department doesn't typically run medical calls I responded...in as small of a community as i live in you know everybody and it puts a knot in my stomach whenever i hear a page anywhere around here. These people are like family to me

I knew he was diabetic, but when i heard the address they didn't say what his problem was. I got there to find out his sugar was low, they carried him to the hospital and he should be fine. But when I got out of my car and walked up to his house and saw him I just have a horrible feeling I'm never going to see him again, which sounds fucked up because there's no way I could know that. But weather you believe in psychic stuff or not I get bad feelings alot, and when I do, bad things usually happen...car wrecks, bad storms and I've had them happen when a friend was killed in a car wreck. Anyway back on topic, this mans living situation is heartbreaking what family he has doesn't care for him and he doesn't talk to them, most days when I see him he has his wheelchair in the door way to his trailer and all he does is watch what few cars happen to pass thru our community go by.

He's been on my mind the whole day, I just can't get him out of my head. It's this end of being a first responder I hate. The people...most times I will never see the people I help again, but afterward when it all sinks in I always think that they are just that...People. Individuals who are infinetly complex with their own set of experiences, perspectives and most times I don't even know their damn name. It hits home even more when you know them, but I just can't forget that look on his face, the sadness in his eyes.

Jesus I know he will probably be fine...but why the hell can't I get his face out of my head?

Called 911? She needs to know what to do! And that is not it... If he went too low, she needs to give him the gucagon pen... If you talk to her, ask if she has one of those around the house for him. I have never gone so low that I have passed out, I've been 26 and in the 30s a couple times, but she needs to give him the shot for suger when he is low, then call 911. And most likely, by the time they arrive he will be awake to greet them at the door. Otherwise, it just takes minutes depending how much insulin is on board for him to drop too low...

Scares me when I hear stories like this about diabetes, because I know one day, that will probably be me... But I think with modern tech, I should be ok... I hope...

Is it me, or does posting comments on YouTube take ages?? I posted a comment, got a reply but took 30 or so minutes from when i got an email about the reply until I could actually see it! :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom