Random Chit Chat

The only word he said was Holy S**T.

I've seen people use worse language than that and nothing happens.

No, that's not the thread I believe. Grant was just trying to call attention to his updated case log, not triv. nate.

P.S. Looks freaking amazing Grant.

5) The Panasonic. I guess it has IPS-Alpha Panel technology which is a pretty big deal according to a few places. It's only 720p, but I'll take a 720 over a 1080 as long as it doesn't ghost...which is why thie IPS thing is so great I guess. The ONE thing that REALLY f-in ticks me off is the lack of analog audio out. No big deal when I'm using my computer or a game console, but if I'm watching OTA HDTV, that's gunna tick me off to no end. I'll eventually have to get an optical audio->analog converter...which seem to be like 50 bucks. Poop on that for right now. One thing that stands out is the 8ms response time though. But, I think with the IPS-A Panel tech, that might be alright. Specs.

6) So...I was really sold on either the Samsung or Panny above. However, I accidentally got linked to this and now I'm sold on it. Here are the specs. Everything that's great about the Panny above except that it's 1080p and it's got a technology that mimics 120Hz. Low input lag for gaming. Everything I want and more for the same great pricing. I'll probably be ordering tomorrow. Specs AVS Thread

Anyone have any opinions on either of these. I'm going to pull the trigger tonight. I say pay the extra $20 and get 1080p. I won't miss the iPod dock on #5 since I don't watch movies on my iPod anyways (if I wanna hear music, I have a connector for that...don't need a dock). It looks to me as if #6 is the way to go, unless anyone has major objections.

whoops. shoulda posted the amazon link for #5. it's $420 on amazon i think. So about a $20 difference. But, I think 1080p is worth it. Especially because of how close I'll be to it.

Okay. After about 2 hours of reading up on the models I found in my price range I've come up with a few observations.

1) The Sony is out. It's not quite the same model I found reviews on (the L5000, I believe), but it's very similar. Also, not much documentation on the one in the link. Good deal, but for a 1080p Sony, the low price kind of worries me.

The L series is Sony's entry level LCD television.

Doesn't matter for a television.

In addition, they have a slightly higher black level (aka, brighter blacks).
Not higher, better. There are no such thing as brighter blacks.

I haven't been around long enough to know how many bans Nate has had before. He's certainly not a bad guy and I don't think I've witnessed him doing anything worse than a little profanity. But don't we all? I feel it was taken a little too seriously but who am I to argue with what David and the mods have decided on?

Looks like the BRAVIA EX400 are out, but so far its only online from Sony Style. Still have to wait till the end of February to get it in store and other retailers. The BRAVIA S doesn't seem like it went any cheaper since the last I check, but maybe they will this Sunday.

Doesn't matter for a television.
Actually, I think it does. Quite a bit actually. It's why the Panasonics were raved about for gamers because of the IPS-Alpha screen which is superior to a standard IPS screen.

Not higher, better. There are no such thing as brighter blacks.

No, not better. When I say "higher" I mean that the black level isn't as "deep" as other LCDs. Probably because it's an entry level LCD. Out of all the ones I reviewed, that seemed to be the problem with that Sony...too much light coming through on scenes with intense blacks. That and the greenish hue to the screen that cannot be corrected in color options.

I ordered the Panasonic Viera 32" S1. Also got a 3 year SquareTrade warranty for a smokin' deal--$36 with a coupon for SuperBowl weekend. Figured it was worth it.

EDIT: Slightly pissed now. Knew I should have impulsed bought that CODMW2 Xbox Package. It went up over $100 over night. Good thing I was planning on waiting a little while longer to get that (~2-3 weeks).

Actually, I think it does. Quite a bit actually. It's why the Panasonics were raved about for gamers because of the IPS-Alpha screen which is superior to a standard IPS screen..

That's a non-issue when you're comparing it to the Sony BRAVIA. Gamers prefer the television because of its low input lag, not necessarily because of its panel.

No, not better. When I say "higher" I mean that the black level isn't as "deep" as other LCDs. Probably because it's an entry level LCD. Out of all the ones I reviewed, that seemed to be the problem with that Sony...too much light coming through on scenes with intense blacks. That and the greenish hue to the screen that cannot be corrected in color options.
Which series are you comparing here?

Back
Top Bottom