Random Chit Chat

It's a purchase in the future, but I'm looking for a reliable monitor/television that I could use to watch movies. I'm going to attempt to try to turn my small office into a home theater by the end of this summer.

I'm really interested in this particular model because of it's warranty and manufacturer.

Warranty - 3 years parts and labor, including backlight

and no HDMI input?

DVI.

Go with no less than 1080 lines for DVD viewing through a computer onto a compatible tele/monitor. preferably progressive scan.

EDIT: Yeah, I saw DVI-D, which is definitely an acceptable medium (it's just like HDMI as you know) but it's a pitfa to not have HDMI inputs incase the tele ever has a different purpose (hooked to a DVD player with HDMI output and not DVI)

A monitor would be a lot better as every TV I've looked at has bad lines between pixels, making it annoying as a monitor. Plasmas and DLP's still have by far the best color rendering tho, unless you want to go all out and get an LED.

That's a fantastic monitor for what it is, but I guess it isn't suited for my application. We use that specific one in the office, and it's been on 24/7 without any problems for the past year or so. Image retention? Forget about it. Reliable? Definitely so.

Thinking about these choices.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252065
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16889252067

Definitely get the 1080p, especially for monitor use, as it seems to have greatly reduced screen-door effect.

LED will drop once more people realize the tele is just LED backlit and not an actual "LED TV". Samsung just likes using LED because it sounds like advanced technology when really, we've had it since the 90's and a bit before. They do have a BLAZING fast refresh though (240Hz) which makes for a crystal image.

I'd go with the latter Bravia. 1080 progressive and a 3K contrast. Now we're talkin'.

Just to clarify, I'm not looking for a conventional computer monitor. The monitor I originally linked to is labeled as one because it does not feature a built in tuner.

Definitely get the 1080p, especially for monitor use, as it seems to have greatly reduced screen-door effect.

1080p does not make a remarkable difference in this size range, especially since I'm not using this as a conventional computer monitor.

I was under the impression this was getting hooked to a media build for streaming video or playing DVD's. My mistake.

What quality cable are you going to be using? Fiber optics? Standard cable? Hi-def cable? Hi-def Sat?

720 progressive is plenty if he only intends to use hi-def cable or sat.

If he's going with fiber optics, 1080 horizontal lines would be not significantly but noticeably better. Progressive or interlaced.

EDIT: The difference in price is 30 dollars. Just get the 1080p and save it for a rainy day.

Back
Top Bottom