Go Back   Computer Forums > Welcome To Computer Forums .org > Social Lounge | Off Topic
Join Computer forums Today

Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #3071
Golden Master

Default Re: Random Chit Chat

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:48 PM   #3072
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
That is fascinating. Would you mind posting that in my new IAT thread?

Thelis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #3073
Daemon Poster

Some one not being a racist is fascinating?

Toshiba Satellite | Core2Duo @ 2.0 ghz | 3gb ram | 250 gb hd | lolintelgma | Ubuntu 10.04
dudelewis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:50 PM   #3074
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Thelis Send a message via MSN to Thelis Send a message via Yahoo to Thelis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelewis1 View Post
The test does not measure whether you are a racist.

Can you please post your result?
Old 07-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #3075
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudelewis1 View Post
Everyone is a racist. It's to what extent that matters.

Send comments, suggestions and criticisms.
↳ 01001010listens@gmail.com
01001010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #3076
(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01001010 View Post
Everyone is a racist. It's to what extent that matters.
Yep, if you classify that there are whites, blacks, asians, etc. Then you are an racist.
Desktop -Cooler Master NV690/AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE/MSI 880G-E45 Motherboard/2 x 2GB DDR3 G.Skill Ripjaws X/Sapphire HD 5870 1GB GDDR5/CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX/Seagate 7200.12 500GB (OS), Samsung F3 1TB (Storage)/Sony DVD Burner/Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Teny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:33 PM   #3077
Guru

Not true. This is just a descriptive way to talk about someone. If I call a fruit "Orange" and another "Apple", and I like apples better, am I being prejudice to the orange?
JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:42 PM   #3078
Golden Master

Send a message via AIM to Rubber314Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Not true. This is just a descriptive way to talk about someone. If I call a fruit "Orange" and another "Apple", and I like apples better, am I being prejudice to the orange?
I agree. I have a preference towards white people, but I'm not about to support anything that doesn't provide an equal OPPORTUNITY for all races. I will however support something that provides an equal opportunity, but where one race ending up with more support than another because they excel at it more. For example if at the NBA tryouts everyone was allowed to try out no matter who you were or what you could do, but more black people made it into the NBA, I'm not going to call the NBA out on being racist because the black players where better than the white players and more made it into the NBA.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:58 PM   #3079
Golden Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teny View Post
Yep, if you classify that there are whites, blacks, asians, etc. Then you are an racist.
Not quite correct. I would say that differentiation between races simply shows a measure of non-ignorance. However, if you make assumptions such as, "That black person must be good at basketball" or, "That white person in a suit is probably a CEO." Then you are, in fact, implicitly associating. However, that does not make you a racist. When you voice those thoughts, that is when you truly start being a bigot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JogaBonito1502 View Post
Yes you are. Think about it, replace fruit with human, orange with "race 1" and apple with "race 2."

What you get is; If I call a human "race 1" and another "race 2," and I like race 2 better, am I being prejudiced to "race 1?"

Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber314Chicken View Post
I agree. I have a preference towards white people, but I'm not about to support anything that doesn't provide an equal OPPORTUNITY for all races. I will however support something that provides an equal opportunity, but where one race ending up with more support than another because they excel at it more. For example if at the NBA tryouts everyone was allowed to try out no matter who you were or what you could do, but more black people made it into the NBA, I'm not going to call the NBA out on being racist because the black players where better than the white players and more made it into the NBA.
Most people residing in the United States are like that. However, very few understand exactly why they are this way.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #3080
Guru

Well, I guess so. I have to admit my question wasn't correctly stated. Let me see if I can reword it to capture the correct meaning because I totally agree with your train of thought.

I think what I meant to say was:

Let's suppose you have 2 fruits. I decide to call one an "Orange" and the other an "Apple". Assuming I have no preference to either one, am I being prejudice to either one by giving it that name instead of the name I gave the other?

Does that make sense? As human, we have a tendency to label things so it can be easily referable to later. It's like in a school. They label rooms, but they aren't prejudice to any certain room. The labels just make it easier when you want to find it.

JogaBonito1502 is offline   Reply With Quote