Random Chit Chat

Looks like I'll need a new PSU to handle the new video card. My 7 year old Seasonic M12II 520 is aging and weak.

next month it'll be ordered. Getting a Seasonic S12III 650. :dance:

Seven years only? Did you hammer it so much?
I had my doubts the PSU was not enough, but I feared you'd tell me to shut up so I didn't investigate further :D
At least +100W PSU to the needed system wattage is what one should get in my experience.

Try not to work it much for now. Parts pulling more than what PSU can handle could blow it, not just give lower performance. Not sure but I think that could damage other parts.

My old PSU is lacking in wattage as evident by the new video card. It may be a 520 watt unit but not putting out 520 watts anymore. You should know that.

The video card kick butt with hi res and acceleration and the PSU can't keep it up so it resets. Time to replace it.

Recently I bought myself a new external cd drive and anti-virus software and it is called micro trend maximum security and since my desktop does not have a cd drive and there is no place to install it

My old PSU is lacking in wattage as evident by the new video card. It may be a 520 watt unit but not putting out 520 watts anymore. You should know that.

The video card kick butt with hi res and acceleration and the PSU can't keep it up so it resets. Time to replace it.

It's not that. Any recommendations for PSU's include having +100 watts more than what the system is rated for in the first place, among other things, meaning when brand new not just after 7 years yet yours is +70 watts only and is already +7 years. This covers possible surges and automatic overclocking we know as speed steps or boost. ~7 years shouldn't affect wattage in good quality PSU's too unless it ages so much (+10 years) and under heavy pressure. I don't think you do 100% video card and CPU utilization so much.

I didn't say it before because you already got the video card (that's why i suggested a little lower video cards) and had the PSU. But now that you're changing it, I mentioned it. No hard feelings?

:hide:

Oh yeah...

emoji-65-128.png

Recently I bought myself a new external cd drive and anti-virus software and it is called micro trend maximum security and since my desktop does not have a cd drive and there is no place to install it

I'm confused. Is that a statement or are you asking something?

You bought an external drive so you can just plug it as Cel said. Unless the interface is something unique and you can't find a port (hole) to plug it into?

You got your answer for the anti-virus software too. Just make sure it is the same version (the full name of the package like pro is something, I mean. Not the number) before downloading it.

I should be so lucky to get a 4 gig 256 bit (yes 256 bit) card for $130. The graphics are unreal and even my Windows icons has more colors. It made my old card a 256 color in comparison.

The reviews touts it a great budget 1080p card. In my Duke 3D with Hi-Res mod it made a big difference in graphics and colors. For example, I'm in a room and the aliens are shooting outside there are gun flashes through the door and windows. There wasn't any of that with the old card.

There are many added stuff that was not seen with the old card. Some of the reviews says you can get by with a 420 watt PSU and some says the card can draw up to 200 watts at its best.

I'm running 4 drives in my PC and I'm running a 6 core 12 thread AMD CPU. All those wattage adds up.

I'm still not convinced that VRAM memory bus size/bandwidth makes a difference in color/picture quality. Need to look it up further so never mind.

From what I hear, AMD GPU's are power hogs unlike Nvidia GPU's even on equal grounds. Some of the latter are even more powerful using less power. AMD has design flows in power usage compared to Nvidia.

On other news, car coolant disappears with no trace or signs again. This time I changed the coolant reservoir cap as the old one seems to open easily. That's an impression of not holding pressure cause vapor to seep out with no residue signs.

Back
Top Bottom