Random Chit Chat

Didn't Chevrolet Caprice have ~300HP V8's at the time? And I remember the SS model had ~322HP. I guess maybe the engine had less emission by design.

We have hot chips you can buy to bypass all that BS and you can get the power back.

Just remember to put the normal chip back in before inspections. :rolleyes:

No, they had Emissions on them but I can't remember the HP ratings. That maybe the Corvette and SS model Camaro. Another one could be the Pontiac Firebird. Ford had downsized the Mustang with 4 cylinders. I know that the non SS Camaro had small,2.8 liter V-6 engines. I had one. They were Electronic Fuel Injected, EFI and computer controlled. That was in 1985. I had one of them. even with small engine, They had plenty of power but also got good gas mileage.

My 2005 Chevy Silverado with Duramax diesel engine had absolutely no emissions controls or regulations on it when it was brand new. Now that it is 13 years old, it needs to have a smog inspection every 2 years. It's like Celery said, it's to check to make sure you aren't running one of the many aftermarket chips that are available.

I never bothered with a chip. My truck's engine delivers 300+ HP with more than 600 lbs of torque so I never felt the need for more power. It'll haul my fully loaded 30 ft travel trailer up steep grades without breaking a sweat.

Last edited:
Strollin, Do you by chance know when they did start using emissions junk on the diesels? I know they do now but don't remember when they started. You are right the 6.6 is a boss engine!!

I almost forgot the 1/2 ton SS 454 that was around for a few years. Now that was big time power but stopped at every gas station along the road!

Got my Chair together and it is sweet! I got the desk today and is really nice. Only issue is no hardware... Have a message thru ebay so i am waiting right now for reply. I hope they don't want to return this one. The box was already crunched and tossed. :whistling:

Don't have anything go do with ebay. This is a company out of Houston. Locals illegals who knows who did what.. I have put in the email and notified ebay. Well see...
The companys name is Furinno.

Guess I was wrong. Where did I get my info from?!?! They mainly broke the 300HP barrier after 1999.
Wikipedia says those models were much more under-powered than what I said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Caprice#Engines
No wonder the German V8's at the time have always outperformed those.

Chips? These were always tuned to give the best performance it could give and the only way to improve is to replace major parts like the engine, transmission and differential. And some times the driver :p

A lot you don't know SG. I'm a retired mechanic, I know about the chips.

hint: they're called EPROMs.

Back
Top Bottom