Random Chit Chat

Yep, same here Mixx, Things arn't the same after family dies off. I have one brother in West Virginia yet. thats it! Sis's kids around here but not right where i am. Brothers kids are up in that same neck of the woods. Debs family is up in Maine so we don't see them. Basic its Deb and I.

Sorry for your loss, Mr. Mixx. Family is the best gathering incentive, I know, specially the parents.

No worries, WD. It was just a passing remark :D

That's because you're a Muslim not a Christian. :rolleyes:

Hence the name!

A while back I saw Muslims celebrate Xmass on TV (Egyptians). Seems like it's become way more culture than religious. You know, like "I don't care, I just wanna have an event to enjoy". Some also congratulate the new Gregorian year here. Seems like even Japanese Shinto celebrate it too.

Anyway, you guys enjoy your time over there :thumb:

The answer is complicated and I'm so bad at explaining anything. But I'm gonna try to (hold my non-alcoholic beer). Basically, we don't celebrate God (Allah translates to God the Creator in Arabic). There are only two religious events and they mainly exist for two of the obligatory (for those who meet the requirements only) charities (or alms), not as celebrations, and they are considered celebrations for the event of charity that brings happiness to those receiving it and so that those have the ability to do it share that happiness in family gatherings so ultimately everyone is part of it. Confused yet?

There are other events/celebrations in other denominations but I believe the orthodox is what's said above which exists in all other denominations as a common ground.

What about Ramadan? That's a form of celebration to Quran isn't it? The book of Allah?

Here we have Lent which is 6 weeks from Ash Wednesday to Easter.

Ramadan is a month in which we are obliged to fast the day time, just like prayers are an obligation; one of the five corners of the religion.

Perhaps you're looking for the event that comes after Ramadan. It's one of the two religious celebrations I mentioned in my last post. I did say events, but those are the only two religious events (emphasis on religious) we are allowed to religiously celebrate (i.e. based on a religious basis). For example I believe due to my teachings that it is not allowed to celebrate the birth of Prophet Muhammad (so he doesn't slowly become divine like becoming God himself) but it's okay to celebrate me finding a new job.

Celebrating things like a new job or winning the lottery are pretty normal all around. Good times to be had.

Very Interesting Smart Guy, I have been a lover of history and customs. I think it is good to know others customs and religion and there beliefs. Celebrate new job is something to have a holiday?? I don't remember that one...

Yup, good and dandy. No harm is celebrating social events.

Oh, and I didn't mean necessarily a holiday celebration. Once can have a party anytime. Tho we do sometimes celebrate good occasions with giving away charity. It's common here to distribute good meals in big amounts to the poor, and money too is not unheard of. That's one thing one given away here while being happy about it haha.

Back
Top Bottom