Random Chit Chat

I got my computer all up and running, Now Debs computer is acting up. It messes around while charging. Looks like the power supply is going bad again. This is #2!! Great Computer but lousy power supplys!!! Have to get another one....#3!! Why do they quit charging anyway?? Are they that cheap?? Have a 1000 buck computer and a 10 dollar charger, Whats wrong with this picture??
This is a laptop, right? If the charger is going bad then I suggest you move to a higher wattage charger next. For instance, if the currently failing charger is a 75W, I would replace it with a 90W or higher. Just make sure the voltage is the same and get one with a higher current rating.

Early failure is the sign of a charger that is being overworked. Does the brick get warm during use?

No, not really. When we got this last ps it was loose. The plug in the wall. The power cord into the transformer and the mini 2.5MM plug keeps coming out of the computer.I bent just enough to keep them tight, but not much luck.both power supply had a angle plug going into the computer. The last one went bad there. This time, I am not sure where it is breaking down. I can get name brand power supply (ASUS) for about 15 bucks. The lasted about a year and a half before they die. I am thinking Deb is trying to keep the plug in the computer somehow and causing the plug to go bad. That's a guess. This ps is 35 watt and 19.o volt. The one I am looking at is a 55 watt one. One thing Deb is bull-headed about not leaving the computer plugged in all the time. When I grab it to do updates and clean out the junk in it, I do it without it being plugged in. That way the battery does get a workout every week. I don't seem able to beat it into her head that she CAN leave it unplugged and let the battery get down to say 60% and then plug it in.I just gave up.:confused: It's a good computer, just needs someone to use it like it should be used. I am worried that the battery may go bad but the computer is 3 years old and the battery seems to be strong yet.
Celery, I can't remember everything I ordered on it but I know it's a i-5 quad core with 8 gigs of the fastest ram I could get. Has 1080I screen and a touch screen at that. Dvd r/re HDMI, usb3.1 6 in 1 card reader highest power battery. I forget what GPU I ordered for it but its pretty fast. I ordered it from ASUS direct. 900 and change. Oh, a 15.5 inch screen. I love the laptop but could do without the power issues.I wish I could have ordered one for me too!!!
If I did, it would have a i-7 and 12-16 gigs of ram.:rofl: like I said it has a bunch of good stuff in it and works great other than the power supply plugs.

Picked up two P4s off the curb yesterday. One has a P4 3.0 Ghz with HTT. Interesting CPU but only 32 bit.

Got optical drives Hard drive, etc.

Oh yeah. Lots of people put stuff out on curbs for grabs and they'll get picked up.

One PC has a CD burner and a DVD burner. The hard drive is 80 gig and dead. One has a card reader but proprietary fitted so it can't be mounted on another PC.

Oh yeah. Lots of people put stuff out on curbs for grabs and they'll get picked up.

One PC has a CD burner and a DVD burner. The hard drive is 80 gig and dead. One has a card reader but proprietary fitted so it can't be mounted on another PC.

I have found some fantastic deals at the Thrift Stores...recently bought a Sceptre 22" monitor for $8, including the VGA cable. Works great. Couple months ago I found a Bose 5.1 ch surround sound system for $10, and you couldn't ask for better performance. Good place to buy backup keyboards, mice, speakers/sound systems, monitors, and occasionally they'll even have towers and laptops. USA Thrift Store in Mobile, AL had an old HP-2000 laptop I couldn't resist...4 GB DDR3 RAM, 320 GB HDD, 1.5 GHz CPU, CD/DVD RW....a whole $35...and it works just fine. Gottta think outside the box!!

I like our local goodwill stores, but i HATE that they don't have any computer parts aside from keyboards and monitors. Apparently, they have a deal with dell, where dell comes and picks up any donated computers for free and recycles them. Such a waste! Goodwill bills themselves as a place that'll hire just about anyone and give them job training, but they ignore this huge source of potential training opportunities.

I've seen good deals in thrift shops before but have never seen where someone left a system they no longer wanted out on the curb to be picked up. About the only thing I've seen left out on the curb like that is old furniture like a chair or sofa.

When I have stuff that I want to give away for free, I just list it on Craigslist. Everything I've ever listed for FREE has had multiple people calling about it. I just tell them whoever shows up at my door first gets it.

I currently have a Dell i3 laptop listed on Craigslist for $130 obo and haven't gotten a single call about it. If I drop the asking price to FREE, I would have people fighting over it.

Last edited:
What do you expect strollin? People are cheap. :rolleyes:

I found some good deals from thrift stores. I got a nice collection of TV seasons on DVD which came out to 50 cents a DVD. Most of them are first seasons which I like. I paid around $70 total after a couple of months of watching for them.

I got a complete Compaq PC with a dead HDD. AMD64-3700, LightScribe DVD burner, card readers and 1 gig mems. I made it to a Linux box with an 80 gig drive and all for $5. :lol:

For $6.50 I got a 5" B/W TV with A/V connectors in the back. Perfect for my porch camera.

Attachments

• S5031326.jpg
    S5031326.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 4
  • S5031324.jpg
    S5031324.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 4
  • S5031325.jpg
    S5031325.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back