Random Chit Chat

Just thought I'd share this,
genuine photo from reading results in the constituency of maidenhead (where the prime minister is currently voted from)
DB3bQlCVoAEMfVi.jpg:large

standing against the prime minister this year were people as follows:

the man dressed as a space dictator "lord bucket head" (stood as an independent candidate)
a man dressed as elmo, (also independant)
the man with the huge rosette is "howlin laud hope" - he's the current leader of the Monster Raving loony party.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_Monster_Raving_Loony_Party

LOL I didn't think anyone would get it.
Yeeeaaauuup. More and more people form opinions and have no idea why or how they "know" something.
Yeah it's awful. Darn politicians.
That may have to do with the .com. Depending on your card billing address, use the appropriate top level domain (e.g. .com, .co.uk, etc)
Now that you mention it, there is a country change option. Argentina is not listed though.
+1 Customer service is also something in great decline. sigh...
Yeah, except for Amazon's :p
Now, a question for those of you with knowledge in electronics: I need a switching regulator that can step both up and down to a fixed voltage (12v.) Am I correct in assuming that the best technique here would be to use a boost converter to a higher voltage (say, 15) then utilize a step-down regulator to achieve the desired voltage? This seems so kludgey, yet I can't seem to find what I'm looking for anywhere, apart from very expensive, low-current up/down regulators.

I'm trying to get a consistent 12v, 4A out of a li-ion laptop battery with a 10.8 nominal voltage. Cost is also a significant concern.

Note that I have zero background in electronic engineering, so go easy on me if this is a stupid question.

EDIT: It's called a buck/boost regulator, correct? I think I found what I need.
You need a buck regulator. If you need a constant current, you are going to have a little trouble though. You are gong to have to build it yourself I think.

DIY Constant Current Load: 4 Steps (with Pictures)

I haven't done it myself but that's what I could find. Norton and Thevevin are not very useful right now.

---------- Post added at 09:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 AM ----------

I have an old GT 630. Doesn't require power.
I just realized I said this. LOL

... Just in case you weren't aware, when enclosed, such as a floppy or HDD, it is a 'disk.' When unenclosed, such as a CD or Blu-ray, the correct word is disc.

I have no idea when or why this convention began, but it is pervasive.
That's interesting, I always considered the two spellings interchangeable.

Go in a shop and ask for a Winchester Drive. Their eyes will glaze over. :D
In case you're interested, the term Winchester was coined to refer to the IBM 3340 Disk Drive. It had 2 30MB removable HDAs (Head/Disk Assembly) and so was a 30/30, just like a Winchester rifle. The term was used generically for years after that however.

Last edited:
You need a buck regulator. If you need a constant current, you are going to have a little trouble though. You are gong to have to build it yourself I think.

DIY Constant Current Load: 4 Steps (with Pictures)

I haven't done it myself but that's what I could find. Norton and Thevevin are not very useful right now.

I actually need both buck and boost. Fortunately, such devices are available on eBay. I just purchased one; we shall see how it works out. I may need to add a fairly large capacitor, depending on how clean the output is.

Let's just say that I'm starting a project, and it's going to be awesome. Those who have been here for a while will understand.

I actually need both buck and boost. Fortunately, such devices are available on eBay. I just purchased one; we shall see how it works out. I may need to add a fairly large capacitor, depending on how clean the output is.
Yes. What are you going to do about the current?

I got the call... the company wants to hire me at-risk. That is, after looking at my application, they see no reason I should be turned down for a clearance by the government and will take the risk that I will get it so they want me now so I can start training.

My kids are not going to be pleased. Hell, my wife isn't too thrilled with the idea, but it seems like an opportunity I don't want to miss.

Meanwhile, I broke a molar and am headed to the dentist's office in an hour.

@foothead, you should be able to pick up a basic spokewrench at nearly any decently-stocked *mart.

Talk about Winchester drives puts me in mind of the HP7906 drives I used to repair: dual-platter, one fixed, the other removable. 5MB per side for a total of 20MB of storage. I used to remove and replace the fixed platter, as well as replace and align the heads. Pain in the rear...

The regulator?

Yes. The diagram has a pot labelled "Out current adjustment."

---------- Post added at 08:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 AM ----------

@foothead, you should be able to pick up a basic spokewrench at nearly any decently-stocked *mart.

Not anymore. I tried.

I do have a spoke wrench, but it was misplaced. I had been given a dynamo hub for Christmas and really wanted to get using it as soon as possible.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom