Random Chit Chat

Three things...

Windows has amazing Linux support! Linux is now (honestly) a core focus of their business...

It's probably not going to get support for "all the" file systems, ext 2/3/4 are now all old, I think not developed and have their own bugs anyway... There are better file systems available.

Yes, technician is banned. yes, it is permanent. yes, it is sad when long term members get banned. no, it is not one particular single thing he did or said, (so don't bother searching his post history. finally, no, it is not up for further discussion (as per the rules that state not to discuss moderator decisions.) so would kindly just suggest leaving that there.

In my current job, I travel quite a bit which causes me to drive rental cars. Rentals are current late-model vehicles and they almost always have a backup camera with a monitor in the center of the dash. This has to be the most useless "safety" feature ever. I've been driving for 50 years without this feature so most times I completely forget about it. However, the times I have tried to use it, I have found it to be severely lacking because it only shows the view directly behind me. By simply turning my head and looking over my shoulder in both directions, I can quickly take in a substantially larger view of the area.

The situation where this is superior is the one in which there is a child or other low object directly behind the vehicle, below my line-of-sight. However, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever encountered that situation in my many years of driving so don't think this feature is worthwhile.

Anybody else have an opinion on these backup cameras?
I like technology in general. It usually gives more options and that is a good thing.
If you don't like it you can disable it, not use it, or buy a less well equipped (stripper) of the same vehicle.
Unless it's mandated by law you can usually order or find a car with only the features you want installed.

In my current job, I travel quite a bit which causes me to drive rental cars. Rentals are current late-model vehicles and they almost always have a backup camera with a monitor in the center of the dash. This has to be the most useless "safety" feature ever. I've been driving for 50 years without this feature so most times I completely forget about it. However, the times I have tried to use it, I have found it to be severely lacking because it only shows the view directly behind me. By simply turning my head and looking over my shoulder in both directions, I can quickly take in a substantially larger view of the area.

The situation where this is superior is the one in which there is a child or other low object directly behind the vehicle, below my line-of-sight. However, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever encountered that situation in my many years of driving so don't think this feature is worthwhile.

They are useful for parking too. Just like proximity sensors.

Well, it's a backup camera, and that's not necessarily a safety feature. It's a backup feature :D

Now, maybe you and I are well educated in car driving, but there are others who are not. At some point I remember hitting both my father's and brother's cars in front and behind me trying to get out, and more than once haha. Let alone that sometimes even the most skilled could get so stuck that they want to use every single millimeter to get out. Some other drivers come and almost stick to your car's front and rear bumpers.

By the way, I managed to install an LCD head unit in my 1992 car's one din slot; with a sliding screen :D

Kinda like this:
95b8c9c258b964b7f5e6d27735d81f61.jpg

The backup camera was not included and I added it for ~$67 USD to avoid hitting my father's car again.

Indeed. Upon further thought, we probably should not discuss him too deeply, as he is not here to defend himself.

My friend is sending me a box of computer goodies:

1. A 4U server with two C2Q-era Xeons, 32GB of memory, and two PCI express x16 slots (x8 limited)
  2. An IBM Model M terminal keyboard
  3. A Macbook Pro with the infamous nVidia solder issue. This one comes with a second, also failed, motherboard.
  4. 2x2GB DDR2 SODIMMs
  5. Most likely some other random items he digs out
The server will be going to my brother to replace his aging Phenom I gaming rig. So will the Model M, as I have a different keyboard preference.

I am going to attempt to reflow the solder on the Macbook. If this doesn't work, I will consider purchasing a non-nVidia motherboard for it, depending on the display quality. He says it's TN, so my hopes are not particularly high.

Nice! C2Q were and still are (to an extent) great players.

The other day I saw a man so good looking. When I looked closely I found out I was looking in a mirror!

(Yeah really, get the hell outta here :p)

Indeed. Upon further thought, we probably should not discuss him too deeply, as he is not here to defend himself.

My friend is sending me a box of computer goodies:

1. A 4U server with two C2Q-era Xeons, 32GB of memory, and two PCI express x16 slots (x8 limited)
  2. An IBM Model M terminal keyboard
  3. A Macbook Pro with the infamous nVidia solder issue. This one comes with a second, also failed, motherboard.
  4. 2x2GB DDR2 SODIMMs
  5. Most likely some other random items he digs out
The server will be going to my brother to replace his aging Phenom I gaming rig. So will the Model M, as I have a different keyboard preference.

I am going to attempt to reflow the solder on the Macbook. If this doesn't work, I will consider purchasing a non-nVidia motherboard for it, depending on the display quality. He says it's TN, so my hopes are not particularly high.
The IBM Model M is considered by many (myself included) to be the best keyboard ever made. I own several, one of which has been in daily use since I acquired it 1986 with an IBM XT286 computer.

The other day I saw a man so good looking. When I looked closely I found out I was looking in a mirror!

(Yeah really, get the hell outta here :p)
-911 what's your emergency?
-There is an extremely handsome man in my house... Oh, never mind, it's just me.

Last edited:
some posts from this thread are now deleted.

As said, there is no need to discuss previously banned members.

Back
Top Bottom