Random Chit Chat

In my current job, I travel quite a bit which causes me to drive rental cars. Rentals are current late-model vehicles and they almost always have a backup camera with a monitor in the center of the dash. This has to be the most useless "safety" feature ever. I've been driving for 50 years without this feature so most times I completely forget about it. However, the times I have tried to use it, I have found it to be severely lacking because it only shows the view directly behind me. By simply turning my head and looking over my shoulder in both directions, I can quickly take in a substantially larger view of the area.

The situation where this is superior is the one in which there is a child or other low object directly behind the vehicle, below my line-of-sight. However, I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've ever encountered that situation in my many years of driving so don't think this feature is worthwhile.

Anybody else have an opinion on these backup cameras?

Last edited:
They were put in place because children kept getting killed by SUV drivers. The NHTSA deemed them as an improvement, so that's worth something.

Let's wait until the statistics come in before drawing any conclusions regarding the matter. I do find it difficult to see how its presence hurts anything. Every new car has an awful, distracting LCD screen there, regardless.

Holding a cellphone while shooting one handed, didn't work very well as you can see. :lol:

I was shooting a 9x25 Dillon in my G29. It's a 10mm necked down to 9mm. Very powerful round.

Back
Top Bottom