Random Chit Chat

Yup, support for Windows from M$ is the key here.

Foothead: I'm at work. I just tried and it's blocked. What is this oppression :p

Right, but Mac OS and Linux both have some level of support for other platforms' software and hardware, even if the implementation is lacking

Is port 6667 blocked, or just the kiwi client you've been using. You could easily circumvent this by using an actual client such as mIRC. Doing so is best practice, anyway. E: This is assuming you have admin rights and a boss that doesn't care. Otherwise, use andchat on your smartphone.

I'm currently DDing my entire SSD over to an NTFS-formatted hard drive. We shall see if it's possible to make it boot.

Last edited:
If I were into gaming still, I would have a dedicated machine or two...

As it is, I have a couple older machines that would do nicely for an XP platform and a 7/8.

But I don't game anymore... I read. I should be writing, but I am not a good place right now for that.

Soon, perhaps, I will get the opportunity to change things around and make that place.

Since history Microsoft had a monopoly on computer operating systems so everyone wrote software for it.

That made DOS and then Windows the top dog. This is why you see so much software for Windows. It's not why Windows is better.

Since history Microsoft had a monopoly on computer operating systems so everyone wrote software for it.

That made DOS and then Windows the top dog. This is why you see so much software for Windows. It's not why Windows is better.

Exactly this. Mac OS is objectively a better operating system. Software support and hardware restrictions are what keep its market share relatively small.

If I were into gaming still, I would have a dedicated machine or two...

As it is, I have a couple older machines that would do nicely for an XP platform and a 7/8.

But I don't game anymore... I read. I should be writing, but I am not a good place right now for that.

Soon, perhaps, I will get the opportunity to change things around and make that place.

I want to write as well. My main issue is motivation which is a facet of my personality.

My stepfather is a writer. His novels in no way cater to my interest, but he seems to quite enjoy writing them. Writing, to him, is a time of solitude and reflection; whenever he feels overwhelmed by issues, he grabs a beer and his laptop, and starts typing.

Now that I have a solid drive backup, I'm, again, DDing it, this time into a .img file. This seems to be quite a slow process. I will then use MKFS to convert it to NTFS, then restore it onto my SSD (with a spare hard drive as a test, of course.)

Does anyone have feedback on whether this technique will even work? Web searches have been less than helpful. Few people seem to wish to migrate from ext4 to an inferior filesystem type.

Last edited:
Quick question:
How can Linux and/or Mac OS be better than Windows XP, for example, if they cannot run my USB2 Technosat DVB S2 on the computer I use to only watch Satellite channels, or my Sidewinder game pad to play 6-button games like older Mortal Kombat games on my retro games computer?

I'm not looking for an answer really, I just want to clarify my point since I'm not that articulate in English in explaining such delicate matters (as you stated yesterday, Foothead :D )

Right, but Mac OS and Linux both have some level of support for other platforms' software and hardware, even if the implementation is lacking

Is port 6667 blocked, or just the kiwi client you've been using. You could easily circumvent this by using an actual client such as mIRC. Doing so is best practice, anyway. E: This is assuming you have admin rights and a boss that doesn't care. Otherwise, use andchat on your smartphone.

I'm currently DDing my entire SSD over to an NTFS-formatted hard drive. We shall see if it's possible to make it boot.

Agreed. It is just as you implied above, Windows is not comparatively lacking in implementation. I'm not saying Windows is better, I'm saying it excels over other OS's in the departments I mentioned before, thus better in those departments only, of which my needs happened to hover around. The needs/uses are what decide which OS is better in what, with emphasis on "in what". Linux and Unix derivatives are certainly better in what they are better in, there is no denying that. I'm actually neutral in this. I also don't discriminate :D (wait, that's redundant haha).

Not sure about the port, but the Kiwi website is blocked. I don't think it's a good idea to use other methods to get thru to blocked services cuz they can find out. And my phone has no internet. The wireless connection there is the same as the LAN so it's the same problem.

You still didn't get to install Windows?

No OS ever so far is better than another in everything. I mean, doesn't what you just said make Windows better in the said departments; everyone writes software for it and having it the top dog?

;)

But in "an overall" rating/point system, I believe Mac OS is better than Windows. Not doubt about that. Not sure about Linux tho.

Windows excels in compatibility. I think this is the point you were trying to make, but I chose to restate it in a more concise manner.

Just keep in mind that this is not an intrinsic feature of Windows itself, but, rather, a self-perpetuating situation where developers choose to focus on the most widespread OSes. Recently, Linux implementations of mainstream programs have been growing increasingly common, but it still has a ways to catch up.

Regarding which is "better": Let me put it this way—The only computers approved for use on the International Space Station are Thinkpads running Linux. That says something about its reliability.

For the standard user though, Mac OS all the way. It's a shame their hardware is overpriced, disposable garbage. (my opinion—no flame wars please.)

Last edited:
Yeah, I really really wish that Mac (both hardware and OS) one day gets what Windows and IBM compatible hardware have to offer too. I tried to get Mac OS run on my PC but couldn't have it run in full.

And yes, when it comes to reliability, there is no doubt Linux and Unix are way much better than Windows. That's a fact.

Linux and Unix are way much better than Windows. That's a fact.

I know what you mean here, but since people are going to misinterpret, I'll state it anyway:

Linux, as in the kernel, is of high reliability. I've used some Linux-based distros that make Windows ME look like OS X 10.4.

In other news, my DD command continues to run, with the CPU pegged on one core. It's currently at 15 out of 40GB.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom