Random Chit Chat

I have. It's a fantastic idea, but it desperately needs a setting to exempt images from its color temperature modifications.

Because of my extreme sensitivity to flicker, I have to keep my monitor at maximum brightness at all times. As such, color inversion—white text on black background—is the superior solution for me.

The image thing is a great idea. I usually don't use it too low so the colors aren't that distorted. Switching it off is not a big deal, but if there are lots of images in between the text it would get a bit annoying.

I don't understand. Why do you have to keep your monitor at high brightness?

Re: Random Chit Chatttt

I think I'm unique in this, not sure tho. Someone once told me that I show too much emotions and related facial expressions. Heck, I even woke up crying once for seeing a poor child in my sleep :p

Interesting. You are effectively my foil—Emotional empathy remains a foreign concept to me. Would you mind sharing some of yours?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

I don't understand. Why do you have to keep your monitor at high brightness?

The "brightness" of a computer monitor is actually regulated by rapidly switching the backlight off and on. This is called 'pulse width modulation.' Due to my sensory abnormalities, I can very clearly see the PWM flicker on most monitors. The only solution is to turn the brightness up to the highest setting, thus leaving the backlight in a constantly active state.

Interesting. You are effectively my foil—Emotional empathy remains a foreign concept to me. Would you mind sharing some of yours?

---------- Post added at 10:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 AM ----------

The "brightness" of a computer monitor is actually regulated by rapidly switching the backlight off and on. This is called 'pulse width modulation.' Due to my sensory abnormalities, I can very clearly see the PWM flicker on most monitors. The only solution is to turn the brightness up to the highest setting, thus leaving the backlight in a constantly active state.
Wow I didn't know people could see that. The frequency is, what, over 100Hz? Aren't CCFL monitors better in those situations? I'm not sure about the prices but I think those are more expensive though.

All hail the dark lord of the twin moons

Wow I didn't know people could see that. The frequency is, what, over 100Hz? Aren't CCFL monitors better in those situations? I'm not sure about the prices but I think those are more expensive though.

My current laptop is CCFL. It is most definitely better than LED. My brother has an LED backlit X220, and it's legitimately unusable to me. When installing Windows on it, I had to plug in an external monitor because the built-in one made my eyes feel like they were bleeding.

AMOLED screens are the absolute worst though. I can immediately spot a Samsung phone anywhere in the room. It's like a Halloween strobe light.

My flicker fusion rate is stupidly high. My father has a 600Hz plasma TV, and while I cannot see it flickering while directly staring at it, any motion, even eye movement, causes the flicker to become clearly visible. Whenever someone watches TV while I'm in the room, I have to turn a light on because of this; otherwise, the entire room seems to be lit by a strobe light. Even when I can't directly see the flicker due to absence of motion, I can still detect its presence. I have no idea how to explain how this works.

Fluorescent tube lights are also absolutely abominable. I nearly failed out of school four times because I was having daily migraines due to the lighting. In tenth grade, I finally dropped out entirely because they wanted me to repeat the grade due to nonattendance—caused by a combination of flicker-induced migraines and depression.

Here is a video I recently took demonstrating this effect. The computer on the left is CCFL backlit. The one on the right is the aforementioned Thinkpad X220. Youtube's compression completely destroyed the video quality, but you can still get a sense of what I'm experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpg6D1LQCQg

Last edited:

My current laptop is CCFL. It is most definitely better than LED. My brother has an LED backlit X220, and it's legitimately unusable to me. When installing Windows on it, I had to plug in an external monitor because the built-in one made my eyes feel like they were bleeding.

AMOLED screens are the absolute worst though. I can immediately spot a Samsung phone anywhere in the room. It's like a Halloween strobe light.

My flicker fusion rate is stupidly high. My father has a 600Hz plasma TV, and while I cannot see it flickering while directly staring at it, any motion, even eye motion, causes the flicker to become clearly visible. Whenever someone watches TV while I'm in the room, I have to turn a light on because of this; otherwise, the entire room seems to be lit by a strobe light. Even when I can't directly see the flicker due to absence of motion, I can still detect its presence. I have no idea how to explain how this works.

Fluorescent tube lights are also absolutely abominable. I nearly failed out of school four times because I was having daily migraines due to the lighting. In tenth grade, I finally dropped out entirely because they wanted me to repeat the grade due to nonattendance—caused by a combination of flicker-induced migraines and depression.

Here is a video I recently took demonstrating this effect. The computer on the left is CCFL backlit. The one on the right is the aforementioned Thinkpad X220. Youtube's compression completely destroyed the video quality, but you can still get a sense of what I'm experiencing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpg6D1LQCQg
Huh the CCFL one is awesome. Does it still bother you in low brightness?

Huh the CCFL one is awesome. Does it still bother you in low brightness?

It does, but not nearly as much as most. Unfortunately that laptop is not mine—It's my father's Mercedes-Benz diagnostic computer. I chose it as a control because it seems to display the least flicker of any laptop in the house.

The other computers in the family—An ASUS convertible and an HP Stream 7 are both completely unusable to me. Both, particularly the HP, are even worse than the Thinkpad. None even approach the Galaxy phones, however.

The best laptop I've had is a Dell Inspiron 5100. Unfortunately, the charger is broken and the fan is so loud that I have to wear earplugs to use it. It's also so old that it cannot play any web videos.

My Motorola RAZR and iPhone 4 display no perceptible flicker whatsoever.

Last edited:

Foil as in baby sheep?

Sure, I'd share anything. But I don't understand what exactly in this context. Do you mean experiences I have or or are you seeking to acquire the emotion?

If it is the former, then I can say that I worry too much specifically about children as they don't have control in what comes to them being mostly dependent on others to survive. When I see a child begs in the streets my heart shatters and my eyes unwillingly water almost every time. I keep getting scary thought about children getting hurt. Am I on the right path of what your asking for?

Foil as in baby sheep?

I meant 'foil' in the literary sense:

In fiction, a foil is a character who contrasts with another character —usually the protagonist— in order to highlight particular qualities of the other character.
Sure, I'd share anything. But I don't understand what exactly in this context. Do you mean experiences I have or or are you seeking to acquire the emotion?
What I meant was sharing of the emotion. With our powers combined, we could become two humans capable of normal levels of empathy.

I have a weird, self-deprecating sense of humour.

Last edited:
Re: All hail the dark lord of the twin moons

What I meant was sharing of the emotion. With our powers combined, we could become two humans capable of normal levels of empathy.

I have a weird sense of humour.
I got the joke. I think Smart Guy became "Guy" for a moment. [emoji38]

Back
Top Bottom