Random Chit Chat

I have to say, I respect your religion's form of fasting.

Having grown up Catholic,"fasting," to us mean not eating meat on Fridays during a 40 day period. Seafood was not considered meat, and was thus acceptable. Being south Louisiana, people actually ate better on the "fasting" days than they otherwise would have. Lenten crawfish boils/parties are not at all unheard of.

Or that excessive salt can be processed separately for other uses. Is that confirmed anyway? The sea/ocean seems to be so big to change salt concentration that easily, or the salt disposal rate could be too slow to make an effect. Heat seasonal difference should already be doing something like this evaporating water in different amounts, I think. Then again, that's part of nature that could be naturally taken care of already.

Brine, or concentrated salt water is more dense than regular sea water. Yes, it will begin to diffuse immediately, but there would still be a stream of brine leaving whatever pipe delivers it to the ocean, and it will pool on the sea floor. This would likely cause a large kill-zone in the area around the outflow from the plant. Eventually, the brine lake might find a path to the edge of the nearest continental shelf and cut a canyon leading back to the outflow pipe, but by then, the environmental damage has been done.

This does not even take into account the damage done by the intake pipe, sucking in all kinds of sea-life that would have to be filtered out and disposed of...

There is a short Scientific American article that mentions this very scenario.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are the Haves and Have Nots and I'm in between, barely making it but comfortable. I cannot feel sorry for the unfortunates because of the phonies. Seems there's more of them on the streets and parking lots while the real unfortunates are in shelters.

As I told my Mother and Father as a kid, Mother's day and Father's day is once a year, but Sunday is every week.
Now I am the Father. lol

It looks like my joke hit a nerve there, SG. Sorry about that.
As for Mothers and Fathers, we spend a lot of time in eldery care facilities near us all year long, but that's not funny.

Not sure if you got my point; I'm defending Westerners here saying that those events do not mean what they are for makes it exclusive to that day only but it can still be done the rest of the year.

No worries, I had to explain it with that comparison just in case to be sure. I didn't mean to make it sound offensive, if it felt that way. My bad.

Last edited:
I have to say, I respect your religion's form of fasting.

Having grown up Catholic,"fasting," to us mean not eating meat on Fridays during a 40 day period. Seafood was not considered meat, and was thus acceptable. Being south Louisiana, people actually ate better on the "fasting" days than they otherwise would have. Lenten crawfish boils/parties are not at all unheard of.

Hmm, I didn't know it was done like that in Catholicism. Thanks for sharing.

I personally have to respect it too.

Never had crawfish. I wish I could have some. We don't have fresh waters here.

Brine, or concentrated salt water is more dense than regular sea water. Yes, it will begin to diffuse immediately, but there would still be a stream of brine leaving whatever pipe delivers it to the ocean, and it will pool on the sea floor. This would likely cause a large kill-zone in the area around the outflow from the plant. Eventually, the brine lake might find a path to the edge of the nearest continental shelf and cut a canyon leading back to the outflow pipe, but by then, the environmental damage has been done.

This does not even take into account the damage done by the intake pipe, sucking in all kinds of sea-life that would have to be filtered out and disposed of...

There is a short Scientific American that mentions this very scenario.

Oh my, didn't know it was that bad. I'll have a look at that link, thanks.

Last edited:
There are the Haves and Have Nots and I'm in between, barely making it but comfortable. I cannot feel sorry for the unfortunates because of the phonies. Seems there's more of them on the streets and parking lots while the real unfortunates are in shelters.

Are you implying that people living on the streets are "phonies?" How so?

Shelters, at least in my area, only allow a limited number of stays per month (I want to say three to five, but it's a variable thing.) One cannot go live in a shelter indefinitely.

Many homeless people I've encountered were quite apparently somewhere on the schizophrenia spectrum. If you aren't familiar with the symptoms, they very often involve a deep paranoia about society in general and a wish to escape it. I am much the same way (diagnoses of schizoid and schizoaffective, though I agree more with the former) and completely understand why one would choose homelessness over giving in to society's demands. Hell, when I'm feeling better anxiety-wise, my hobby of bicycle touring can easily be viewed as a form of temporary, voluntary homelessness. I will sometimes go so far as squatting on unused land and salvaging food from dumpsters.

Last edited:
The issue with "homeless" Is one of our friends followed one to wherever he was going. he ended up at a nice house with a BMW in the garage. I have a hard time wanting to help because of that. I wish there was a way to tell who is phony or in real need...

That's a good thinking and it makes sense. This always gave us hard time finding those really in need. Asking around and investigating is an important step in all this. Many of those in real need keep to themselves and don't openly ask. It is important also to not be bold in giving out to not hurt their feelings.

Okay, now I feel sad :(

The issue with "homeless" Is one of our friends followed one to wherever he was going. he ended up at a nice house with a BMW in the garage. I have a hard time wanting to help because of that. I wish there was a way to tell who is phony or in real need...

You are conflating beggars with homeless. The two are not mutually exclusive—many homeless actually go far out of their way to avoid human interaction of any type, particularly relying on others' generosity. When the actual homeless do it, it's out of complete desperation.

My policy regarding beggars is that I will purchase them food, but not give them money. This very quickly weeds out the false ones. On occasion, if I know for sure that someone is legitimately homeless, I'll purchase them a beer (assuming they agree, of course.) If anyone needs a beer, it's someone living on the streets. Fortunately, my city lacks open container laws, so there is no risk of trouble.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom