Random Chit Chat

Technician: This is fascinating. I must admit that typography is something I have never studied.

I seem to be experiencing a migraine aura, despite showing no other symptoms. I just had a dream about my efforts to get Chance the Rapper to sing this song*, then woke up and spent twenty minutes watching white mice scurry across the floor and climb things. My perception remains severely distorted, but is within my ability to cope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjdXz1jSm0U

It is my belief that our brains contain at least three separate vocabularies: an aural one-- understanding words we hear, a vocal one--producing words we speak, and a written one. The last, I suppose, could be broken into two parts, so perhaps there are four vocabularies, since we will recognize written words that we would not actually use or think of using...

It is my belief that our brains contain at least three separate vocabularies: an aural one-- understanding words we hear, a vocal one--producing words we speak, and a written one. The last, I suppose, could be broken into two parts, so perhaps there are four vocabularies, since we will recognize written words that we would not actually use or think of using...

This is an interesting theory. Would you mind elaborating in more detail? Where would you place alternative communication techniques, such as ASL?

Last edited:
Well, I have a certain set of words that I use in conversation. I use a different set of words when I write. Obviously, there is overlap, but my written (typed) language is noticeably different than that which I vocalize.

There are words that I hear and recognize, but I would never think to use them in my speech nor in written form, unless I were to stumble across such in a conversation. Same goes with written language.

I agree... then there are people with other language skills... my wife can understand spoken Spanish, but can't speak it well and can't read it at all.

My wife trained our dog to obey sign language commands.
Before you say anything, this is NOT a poke at anyone or anything.

Back
Top Bottom