Random Chit Chat

Ah, I don't think I know what you mean. Is that like sitting on chairs? We do sit on chairs too but traditionally we used to sit on mattress like things with back-rests that's like about 10-15cm above floor level like these:

S_thumb_13079533_adaptiveResize_700_1000.jpg

These are becoming less and less found these days. Last time I saw an actual used one was like +5 years ago. Am I getting your point? You don't mean fighting with chair, do you?

You know, sometimes toothache feels kinda funny and... fun!

Last edited:
Based on your confusion and that image, I will take that reply as an affirmation.

I have a friend who grew up in Japan. Just like me, he does not use chairs, instead opting to sit on the floor. His dinner table is actually designed to be used when sitting in the seiza position.

Perhaps I should ask a bit differently: If you were to sit on the floor, would everybody treat you like a complete lunatic? That is the situation here, which, due to my low-level phobia of chairs (this probably sounds weird,) drives me absolutely insane.

Rather than a toothache, what I am experiencing is the eruption of a "wisdom tooth." My other two came in without issue (other than similar teething pains,) so I am hoping for the same this time around.

Last edited:
Yeah, that "chair obsession" terminology sounded really weird to me. I find it difficult to believe there is really a phobia of chairs more than it is just not your taste to use one, or simply not liking less stable grounds. The West sure likes to label and criticize every thing like that :p

It depends on the scene really. Just seeing me wanting to sit on the floor as a preference is not something that brings any thought on me. So basically it is completely acceptable. If it is somewhere that cannot accept sitting down on the floor, like in a restaurant with only chairs and a ceramic floor with narrow passes, it would certainly look, feel and sound weird to sit on the floor. Due to our culture, many places provided both floor and chair/table settings to use. I personally prefer the floor if I have a choice. Much more comfortable for me. Oh and by the way, we eat on the floor. Nothing can fall and magically disappear :)

mk119789_22222222.jpg

That's on the floor. Dunno what that is, it's from Google Images :D

Good luck with that stray molar. I had to remove one because it kept biting my cheek... in the inside.

Yeah, that "chair obsession" terminology sounded really weird to me.

Use of unusual terminology is something of a habit of mine. As a form of self-deprecating humour, I sometimes voluntarily exaggerate this tendency, leading to phrases such as situations necessitating unscheduled deployment of advanced, childhood-derived lithobraking procedure.

I find it difficult to believe there is really a phobia of chairs more than it is just not your taste to use one, or simply not liking less stable grounds. The West sure likes to label and criticize every thing like that :p
Phobias of practically anything can exist. Mine seems to be based out of obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

The best way that I can explain it would be: If everybody around you suddenly started sleeping in coffins, wouldn't you find that creepy? That is how I feel about chairs. It's a device designed solely to contain a human body. If you think about it, isn't that just really fucking weird? It certainly is to me. I can use them when required, but I tend to either flip the chair sideways or sit with some generally-unusual posture (think L from Death Note.) In particularly formal situations, the best I can do is to sit on the edge of the chair. If my back touches the backrest, it feels as if I have somehow "lost" to the chair. I recognize that this makes no sense whatsoever, but even high levels of exposure have never been able to truly overcome it.

It depends on the scene really. Just seeing me wanting to sit on the floor as a preference is not something that brings any thought on me. So basically it is completely acceptable. If it is somewhere that cannot accept sitting down on the floor, like in a restaurant with only chairs and a ceramic floor with narrow passes, it would certainly look, feel and sound weird to sit on the floor. Due to our culture, many places provided both floor and chair/table settings to use. I personally prefer the floor if I have a choice. Much more comfortable for me. Oh and by the way, we eat on the floor. Nothing can fall and magically disappear :)

mk119789_22222222.jpg

That's on the floor. Dunno what that is, it's from Google Images :D
I am extremely jealous of this. Americans are generally obsessed with chair use, to the point that many will never sit on the floor for any reason. It seems strange to me, but, then again, my tendency to not use chairs is strange to them. I suppose this is all relative.

Good luck with that stray molar. I had to remove one because it kept biting my cheek... in the inside.
I am hoping it does not come to that. Dental X-rays indicate that, at the very least, it's unlikely to impact.

Last edited:
Use of unusual terminology is something of a habit of mine. As a form of self-deprecating humour, I sometimes voluntarily exaggerate this tendency, leading to phrases such as situations necessitating unscheduled deployment of advanced, childhood-derived lithobraking procedure.

Phobias of practically anything can exist. Mine seems to be based out of obsessive-compulsive tendencies.

The best way that I can explain it would be: If everybody around you suddenly started sleeping in coffins, wouldn't you find that creepy? That is how I feel about chairs. It's a device designed solely to contain a human body. If you think about it, isn't that just really fucking weird? It certainly is to me. I can use them when required, but I tend to either flip the chair sideways or sit with some generally-unusual posture (think L from Death Note.) In particularly formal situations, the best I can do is to sit on the edge of the chair. If my back touches the backrest, it feels as if I have somehow "lost" to the chair. I recognize that this makes no sense whatsoever, but even high levels of exposure have never been able to truly overcome it.

I am extremely jealous of this. Americans are generally obsessed with chair use, to the point that many will never sit on the floor for any reason. It seems strange to me, but, then again, my tendency to not use chairs is strange to them. I suppose this is all relative.

I am hoping it does not come to that. Dental X-rays indicate that, at the very least, it's unlikely to impact.

Phobia of anything for me is just phobia or just discomfort because of other factors related to it making me not wanting it. Believe it or not, I'm scared of women. I'm 35 and am scared of the idea of getting married or interact with women for any reason even business even tho I did a couple of times. I know they are just like anyone else and I'm actually attracted to them, but I guess it is fear of responsibility or something. Dunno really. I think I talked about this before.

Yes, I guess I do see how you feel about it with that coffin example.

You see how it goes in picnics? That's almost how it feels eating on the floor here but in better organized settings. Those who see eating on the floor is weird, just tell them it's like going out on picnic. Also, I don't see a reason why you can't do it at home. Get a big comfortable carpet, some cushion to sit on if you don't wanna get tired fast and have your fun. That's for eating. I don't know how possible it is to have a full ready room like the one I posted earlier tho, but I don't see it is not doable.

The reason chairs were invented in the first place, as you know, was to accommodate with further needs. Older people and those with different cases here use chairs and tables even in floor oriented rooms and that does not seem to catch the attention of anyone even if the reason to sit on one is not clear.

So the tooth is just coming out then. Normally that should be okay then.

SG, your fear is commitment.

I don't have that fear but I don't care for it. I will not give up my freedom for anything and that includes marriage. I can't keep girlfriends because they want commitments.

To hell with that.

Last edited:
I am trying to get Dngrswife to change psychiatrists... hers obviously doesn't listen to her, and while her current medication regimen is... adequate, it was actually developed by a different doctor after he saw the (ineffective) mishmash her current doctor had her on. Unfortunately that other doctor lives in a different part of the country.

Anyhow, I got a decent psychiatrist myself years ago, and then when she moved on, got my GP to continue prescribing my meds. I have a decent psychologist to talk to, and that helps quite a bit.

I feel lucky in that I haven't much in the phobia block... fear of really high bridges, which makes driving across certain gorges absolutely nerve-racking.

Wow this forum has become a bad episode of Newhart, lol. Chairs...phobias...psychology...psychiatry...commitment issues...the last time I was on my roof, I felt a little uneasy, so I guess I fit right in too.

I received a very good education both in school and out of school but then again I was very interested in getting an education and I sought it out. I didn't wait for the teachers to give me the information I didn't sit and wait for education to come to me I went after it actively. I had a very strong desire to learn as much as possible and I still do. I guess it might be as much the fault of the child as it is the fault of the system and the teacher for those who don't get a good education.
I also didn't only use school as a source of Education are used public television, books and a lot of other sources as well as school. I also spent a lot of time watching others we knew what they were doing, doing the things that they knew how to do.

I'm 35 and am scared of the idea of getting married or interact with women for any reason even business even tho I did a couple of times. I know they are just like anyone else and I'm actually attracted to them, but I guess it is fear of responsibility or something. Dunno really. I think I talked about this before.

You have discussed this before. You seem to be capable of freely interacting with me, though, which is worth something.

Those who see eating on the floor is weird, just tell them it's like going out on picnic. Also, I don't see a reason why you can't do it at home. Get a big comfortable carpet, some cushion to sit on if you don't wanna get tired fast and have your fun. That's for eating.
Violation of social norms, even completely irrational ones, is, unfortunately, something which causes a visceral reaction in most people. Attempting to reason with them is, ultimately, a fruitless endeavour.

I don't know how possible it is to have a full ready room like the one I posted earlier tho, but I don't see it is not doable.
My preference is to have an empty room. To be honest, a room completely flanked with seating would make me highly uncomfortable. It doesn't approach the severity of my reaction to wooden chairs, but, nonetheless, I do not particularly like it.

The reason chairs were invented in the first place, as you know, was to accommodate with further needs. Older people and those with different cases here use chairs and tables even in floor oriented rooms and that does not seem to catch the attention of anyone even if the reason to sit on one is not clear.
Certainly. I have no issue with other people using them. I just dislike the expectation of having to do so myself.

Then again, were I to have my own house, the only situation in which chairs would be allowed inside would be if the visiting person were bound to a wheelchair. Environmental control is of high importance to me.

So the tooth is just coming out then. Normally that should be okay then.
Wisdom teeth are well-known for potentially causing numerous issues.

SG, your fear is commitment.

If he is afraid of interacting with women in any capacity, commitment is not the primary fear.

I don't have that fear but I don't care for it. I will not give up my freedom for anything and that includes marriage. I can't keep girlfriends because they want commitments.

To hell with that.
Do you feel the same about friendships or expectations in general? I ask because I certainly do. For example, I have exactly one person who I could call a friend, and we're only capable of maintaining a relationship because he places next to zero expectations upon me.

I feel lucky in that I haven't much in the phobia block... fear of really high bridges, which makes driving across certain gorges absolutely nerve-racking.

Interestingly, I am much the opposite. I often find feel compelled to climb things and sit in unusually high places. I receive quite a lot of comments for sitting in trees, on the roof ridge, atop the refrigerator, etc.

Were I to list all of my irrational fears/phobias, I would come across as completely insane. Suffice it to say that I have quite a few, including many which make absolutely no sense.

I also didn't only use school as a source of Education are used public television, books and a lot of other sources as well as school. I also spent a lot of time watching others we knew what they were doing, doing the things that they knew how to do.

I'm curious— Did you also have a habit of reading the encyclopedia as if it were a novel? I was much the same way, and this was one of my favourite activities. I was legitimately confused as to why the school library would not allow me to check out encyclopedia volumes. Ultimately, I convinced my parents to purchase an old World Book set for me.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom