Random Chit Chat

I received the Thinkpad X220 today. As feared, the display is atrocious. Colors are horribly inconsistent due to extremely narrow viewing angles, and the PWM flicker is so severe that it actually hurts to look at. If it weren't for this, it would be an excellent machine. Battery life is phenomenal, it's extremely fast, and the build quality is great. Fortunately, my brother does not seem to notice low-quality displays, so it remains a more-than-capable computer for his purposes.

Joyous participation in the sorrows of the world.

Whatever you or anyone is going through, the only thing constant is change. The only phrase that will always apply to every situation you face in life is: This too shall pass.

Easy to say but oftentimes hard to accept.

I received the Thinkpad X220 today. As feared, the display is atrocious. Colors are horribly inconsistent due to extremely narrow viewing angles, and the PWM flicker is so severe that it actually hurts to look at. If it weren't for this, it would be an excellent machine. Battery life is phenomenal, it's extremely fast, and the build quality is great. Fortunately, my brother does not seem to notice low-quality displays, so it remains a more-than-capable computer for his purposes.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if one could take a machine similar to this and upgrade the display... I'm not saying you should do so, just speculating on the possibilities for hacking a laptop further than anything I ever accomplished, which is to say adding internal bluetooth to models that were never sold with such.

It would be an interesting experiment to see if one could take a machine similar to this and upgrade the display... I'm not saying you should do so, just speculating on the possibilities for hacking a laptop further than anything I ever accomplished, which is to say adding internal bluetooth to models that were never sold with such.

You significantly underestimate the tenacity of Thinkpad modders. I have seen some absolutely absurd projects, such as custom i7 motherboards for ten-year-old systems. See the "X62" project for an example of this.

Regarding this specific laptop, there are two potential routes for display upgrade. The most straightforward one is to simply acquire the official Lenovo-supported IPS display for this model. To take the more extreme route, there is an available modification kit which intercepts the Displayport signal intended for the dock and uses it to drive a normally-incompatible display.

Unfortunately, while the display itself can be upgraded, there is no reasonable solution to the PWM backlighting issue short of in-depth hardware modding.

Man, them spammers keeps at it on CL. I got an ad in and a response referred to it as an item and will send a shipper to pick it up.

I told them to read my ad again you dumb walrus. Cash in hand and local pickup only.

That shit's so old jeez.

Man, them spammers keeps at it on CL. I got an ad in and a response referred to it as an item and will send a shipper to pick it up.

I told them to read my ad again you dumb walrus. Cash in hand and local pickup only.

That shit's so old jeez.
Are you selling your item?
If you ever decide to sell your object let me know. I know someone who wants one.

How do some people manage to graduate high school while being functionally illiterate? Over the years, I have encountered a number of people who, despite having high school diplomas, cannot read beyond the level I was capable of in first grade.

Back
Top Bottom