Random Chit Chat

Sadly, I fear that certain people have some kind of 'potential victim' aura that attracts predators; and one of my daughters carries it. Unfortunately, she is also a bit paranoid and tends to dramatize things so it's sometimes hard to tell whether a 'potential attacker' was just that or just some guy wanting to say hello to a pretty girl.

I am also one of these people. Upon meeting me, people's first impressions tend to be that I'm either intoxicated or mentally retarded. In either case, such a person would make an easy victim. I also, I am told, come across as highly eccentric, leading to significant amounts of unwanted attention.

Similarly, I am predisposed to paranoia and don't fully understand the line between friendly and unfriendly behaviour. After a number of highly negative experiences, likely for the above reasons, the result is viewing any undesired contact with strangers as potentially threatening.

@foothead, I'd recommend some self-defense classes at the very least. Hopefully you will never need to use the skills, but it's good exercise, builds confidence, and depending on the specific discipline, can introduce some additional grace into your movements and body carriage.
Any type of regular class is an extremely difficult proposition for me, particularly one in which I would have to make physical contact with other people. To be honest, the most helpful thing I could learn right now is how to not panic and mentally shut down in these situations. Knowing self-defense techniques is completely unhelpful to someone who is only capable of either running away or crying.

Why don't women stalk men too?

This sucks.

This does happen, but it tends to be more secretive and less overt. There are also men who stalk men and women who stalk women. My father experienced a more extreme form of this relatively recently: A man followed him all the way home from the park, rolled down the window, and made sexually suggestive comments, leaving only after my father pulled out his cell phone to call 911.

Either way, the type of situation I am discussing is not necessarily based on sexual impulses.

Last edited:
Why don't women stalk men too?

This sucks.

They do and that sucks even more.

---------- Post added at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:11 PM ----------

I am also one of these people. Upon meeting me, people's first impressions tend to be that I'm either intoxicated or mentally retarded. In either case, such a person would make an easy victim. I also, I am told, come across as highly eccentric, leading to significant amounts of unwanted attention.

Similarly, I am predisposed to paranoia and don't fully understand the line between friendly and unfriendly behaviour. After a number of highly negative experiences, likely for the above reasons, the result is viewing any undesired contact with strangers as potentially threatening.

Any type of regular class is an extremely difficult proposition for me, particularly one in which I would have to make physical contact with other people. To be honest, the most helpful thing I could learn right now is how to not panic and mentally shut down in these situations. Knowing self-defense techniques is completely unhelpful to someone who is only capable of either running away or crying.

This does happen, but it tends to be more secretive and less overt. There are also men who stalk men and women who stalk women. My father experienced a more extreme form of this relatively recently: A man followed him all the way home from the park, rolled down the window, and made sexually suggestive comments, leaving only after my father pulled out his cell phone to call 911.

Either way, the type of situation I am discussing is not necessarily based on sexual impulses.

It might BA a good idea to have a companion you can hang out with or if you prefer, hire a bodyguard.

They do and that sucks even more.

Are you saying that being stalked sucks even more for men than it does for women, or that it sucks even more that the entire population, rather than only half, is a potential target? The first statement is one that I would take issue with, whereas I'm in full agreement on the second.

It might BA a good idea to have a companion you can hang out with or if you prefer, hire a bodyguard.
Hiring a bodyguard would be such a massive overreaction, I don't even know where to begin replying to such a comment.

I do not live alone, so I do have someone to go places with at times. Being unable to leave the house without another person present would be absurdly impractical, however. Besides, my entire life has been spent striving for the greatest possible degree of independence. Giving that up would not be an easy proposition to accept, especially in consideration of my schizoid tendencies.

Last edited:
Are you saying that being stalked sucks even more for men than it does for women, or that it sucks even more that the entire population, rather than only half, is a potential target? The first statement is one that I would take issue with, whereas I'm in full agreement on the second.

Hiring a bodyguard would be such a massive overreaction, I don't even know where to begin replying to such a comment.

I do not live alone, so I do have someone to go places with at times. Being unable to leave the house without another person present would be absurdly impractical, however. Besides, my entire life has been spent striving for the greatest possible degree of independence. Giving that up would not be an easy proposition to accept, especially in consideration of my schizoid tendencies.
Then whatever you do, don't get married. Lol

Then whatever you do, don't get married. Lol

I have no intention of ever doing so.

The conclusion I have reached is that pursuing romantic a romantic relationship is, ultimately, a pointless endeavour. I am utterly repulsed by the concept of sex and am morally opposed to the practice of reproduction, so there is absolutely no reason why I would choose to marry someone.

Last edited:
Marriage isn't a contract for sex and reproduction, rather it is what you make it. These days marriage isn't treated as sacred but the only definition I would refer to it as is as a lifelong partner.

But yeah, I feel the total opposite to you, I'd love to be a dad :D, so I'm biased!

But yeah, I feel the total opposite to you, I'd love to be a dad :D, so I'm biased!

*trying hard to exercise self-restraint*

If you are so insistent, would you consider adoption in lieu of reproduction? Instead of creating another human being to potentially suffer, you'd be helping to mitigate the suffering of one who already exists in this world. Whether the child is biologically related to you makes no practical difference, other than as a pointless exercise in vanity.

Back
Top Bottom