Random Chit Chat

In our community if we can help we never say no, specially with family members. If we can't for some reason even within out capability/profession, we would apologize, easy. It is something that goes around here. I am one target in the family for computer and general electronic consultation.

In our community if we can help we never say no, specially with family members. If we can't for some reason even within out capability/profession, we would apologize, easy. It is something that goes around here. I am one target in the family for computer and general electronic consultation.
It's the same here. That's what makes a community strong, everyone doing what they are best at for the good of all.

I used to be that way, until I realized that I have three different computers languishing in my bedroom waiting for me to find to to fix... one of them the third one from the same person.

I told myself: this is ridiculous-- I have neither time nor patience for this anymore.

Perhaps if I get a different job that allows me more leisure time and a home that needs less maintenance, my policy will change, but for now, I'm going to remain Mr. Grumpy.

trust me, if you let them they'll take advantage of you.

Definitely. And if you do fix someone's rig then they automatically think this gives them a lifetime warranty against anything that goes wrong with it ever again.

Them taking advantage of us is something we control, not them. Being able to help does not only mean knowledge, but also other factors like time and availability. Taking a bunch of devices to suddenly find them pending is something we have control of and it is our fault/responsibility. We can simply say we're busy and can't help right now, in the way family do.

Family would understand and comeback later or maybe forget about it all together. Even if they don't understand, they are still family that you don't have reservation against them that it is okay to just tell them you can't (while you really can't) and shove it down their throats (in a familial way).

As far as I know, it is okay to impose on family within reason and honesty. Dunno about other cultures, but the way I find family impose on me for help, I also find myself getting their help without reservation on their side that I sometimes wonder "hey, they are doing that much for me?" and forget that I'd do the same for them.

Family members should also not keep debts/favors among each other. That of course does not mean asking for a million dollars for no reason and forget about it in normal cases :D

Them taking advantage of us is something we control, not them. Being able to help does not only mean knowledge, but also other factors like time and availability. Taking a bunch of devices to suddenly find them pending is something we have control of and it is our fault/responsibility. We can simply say we're busy and can't help right now, in the way family do.

Family would understand and comeback later or maybe forget about it all together. Even if they don't understand, they are still family that you don't have reservation against them that it is okay to just tell them you can't (while you really can't) and shove it down their throats (in a familial way).

As far as I know, it is okay to impose on family within reason and honesty. Dunno about other cultures, but the way I find family impose on me for help, I also find myself getting their help without reservation on their side that I sometimes wonder "hey, they are doing that much for me?" and forget that I'd do the same for them.

Family members should also not keep debts/favors among each other. That of course does not mean asking for a million dollars for no reason and forget about it in normal cases :D

I agree with that SG and I was just about to say that the skill set for repairing computers includes tolerance, discretion and patience as well as just an understanding of the hardware and software. If you don't have all of the skills necessary just tell people you can't do the job; that you're unable to, because that's the truth. You shouldn't tell people that you can do something that you can't do just to try to impress them.

Back
Top Bottom