Random Chit Chat

I almost bought an annual pass to a gun range in the big town... it would have allowed me to bring several family members to the range, borrow some of their guns and all I'd have to do is buy ammo.

... but, I couldn't guarantee to myself that I'd find time to go there on a regular basis throughout the year, and held off.

@foothead, sounds like your brother's machine has given up the ghost. though I suppose it's possible that the charger just went out and he didn't notice until he killed the battery.

I have learned to "just say no" to friends and family members wanting me to be the free computer fix-it guy (says the man who is currently repairing a laptop for his son... in my defense, it's so he will get a job and quite squatting in my living room)

Meanwhile, my NAS seems to not be online... I have to figure out whether it's the base station, the drive itself, or my switch. Luckily, I have a separate back-up at work, though there are some family photos that haven't been copied to an outside archive yet.

Been there and they became a pest about little things. I fixed it by making them get me a Mexican plate from Bud Jones.

Only one did (sweet gal) and the others said, ok, how much you want? Soon they quit bothering me except for something serious.\

They still have to get me a Mexican plate. :lol:

My wife used to volunteer me for that stuff and I had to tell her to stop:

"Oh, Cousin It has a computer problem..."
"Sucks to be Cousin It, huh?"

I almost bought an annual pass to a gun range in the big town... it would have allowed me to bring several family members to the range, borrow some of their guns and all I'd have to do is buy ammo.

... but, I couldn't guarantee to myself that I'd find time to go there on a regular basis throughout the year, and held off.

@foothead, sounds like your brother's machine has given up the ghost. though I suppose it's possible that the charger just went out and he didn't notice until he killed the battery.

I have learned to "just say no" to friends and family members wanting me to be the free computer fix-it guy (says the man who is currently repairing a laptop for his son... in my defense, it's so he will get a job and quite squatting in my living room)

Meanwhile, my NAS seems to not be online... I have to figure out whether it's the base station, the drive itself, or my switch. Luckily, I have a separate back-up at work, though there are some family photos that haven't been copied to an outside archive yet.

I am the opposite. I am always glad to help anyone fix their computer or build them a new one after walking them through the buying process. To me it feels good to be helpful for no personal gain.

I am the opposite. I am always glad to help anyone fix their computer or build them a new one after walking them through the buying process. To me it feels good to be helpful for no personal gain.

That used to be me and still is for a few. I changed my policy during an unemployed stint and just left it in place. I am dirt cheap as far as computer work goes so I haven't had anyone complain or go elsewhere.

In my family I am the one everyone runs to when they have issues with their computers or electronics.

I don't mind fixing their issues, I get pleasure from just being there for them.

"Oh, Cousin It has a computer problem..."
"Sucks to be Cousin It, huh?"

I appreciate this reference.

Personally, I only fix computers for people with whom I would otherwise be having contact. If my brother or one of my parents has a computer problem, I will fix it. Should someone else contact my parents or me asking for help, they're on their on their own. Why should I willingly subject myself to being around someone I do not wish to be around, doing something I do not wish to do, without even receiving payment for my services? Am I just expected to do this out of some nonsensical concept of familial obligation?

Similarly, I have never understood why I am expected to maintain contact with people just because we happen to be blood relatives. This is likely a discussion for another time, however.

Shit, I just saw what i did!!! That was supposed to be dual boot! Sorry about that. Like Celery said his old board lives on!!!!

There is no need to apologize. If anything, I should be thanking you, as you gave me a rare opportunity to have something worth laughing about.

It seems that my brother needs a laptop by Thursday for a workshop at his university. It looks like I will be two-day shipping him one of mine. Hopefully, either Windows XP or Debian will be acceptable to him, as I don't have any laptops with more modern Windows COAs.

Last edited:
I seem to have discovered the manga version of myself.

These panels are particularly relatable:

66rHRX4.jpg

ss8Fur9xMix7hphPMrymqNyNWa6uzREt8I-JnOa9ZXE.jpg

Last edited:
In my family I am the one everyone runs to when they have issues with their computers or electronics.

I don't mind fixing their issues, I get pleasure from just being there for them.

That's the same for me. I also treat as a learning opportunity/expansion of what I already know.

Back
Top Bottom