Random Chit Chat

I may have a new job this year... pays a little better than the one I'm at, plenty of new stuff to learn and challenging work, downside is I'd have to move to and live in an even hotter desert than where I am now.

... and whether I should take a position that has me traveling half the year or a stay-put one that wouldn't pay as well. My wife wants me to take the latter (she still likes me for some reason).

She thinks I'm being selfish; and I suppose I am to an extent: I'm bored at my current job, I'm tired of the mess our house is in and I want to get rid of some of the wallet-leeches.

Most of the fun stuff with this new job comes with the deployable nature of it, and there is plenty of training as well as money (which I could use to fix up the current house, even pay someone else to do the work, not to mention stuff the 401K) and I could take her along on some of the domestic trips (at my expense, natch).

So yes, I am being selfish. But if I enjoy my work, then it isn't so much work, and perhaps I wouldn't be quite so tired and depressed when I get home at the end of the day and therefor more pleasant to be around.

Don't let the woman try and influence your decision. If you feel that you want a new job that can challenge you then go for it and having some extra money is always good.

With that in mind, I also have to consider the fact that she could just give me the boot for being thoroughly unreasonable.

...or even worse, punish me by spending all that extra money faster than I can earn it.

Good luck on the new job Dngrsone, keep us posted on which one (if any) you end up with.

I just hit my 2 month anniversary at my new job. Traveling a bit more than I'd prefer, I'm away about 12 nights per month, home the rest. I'm earning about 40% more than I was making at my last job when I retired in Jan 2016 so I can't complain about the money. My wife is OK with me being gone so much but she is glad to see me when I get back home.

Back
Top Bottom